cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G15 in Indoor, Low Light

Mike8414
Apprentice

Taking a vacation soon and expect to be doing quite a bit of shooting indoors in low light.  Assume flash isn't always allowed or convenient.  Anyone have experience with the G15 in these situations, and what settings have worked well for you?

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

I have found that shooting at ISO 1250 (maximum) yields acceptable images for me. Keep the aperture at around F4.5 to F5 in Av mode and you should be okay. Auto White balance usually works well too. Try this in a few places before you go on vacation and see if you want to make any adjustments with exposure compensation. I shoot in RAW, so I can adjust for minor errors very readily, so your settings might be a little different if you shoot in JPEG. I'm also assuming you won't be using a tripod since many places don't like people using them in museums and such. Enjoy your time away.

Steve M.

Do you get a lot of noise with those settings?

hobson,

I get some noise, but it's still acceptable. The JPEG usually has a lot more noise than the RAW, so it may depend on the format you're using. The photos are more soft than noisy, so if sharpness is an issue, then you might not be happy with the results.

Steve M.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements