cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Format button will not light up on PowerShot Elph 180

Sunnie2700
Apprentice

Recently purchased Canon PowerShot elph 180 camera. After placing memory card in slot I received a memory card error message. Most forums and suggestions say you should format the new mom or card to get camera to work. Problem is under tools menu I do not have format option. All other menu items are lit up but I am not able to format. Please help!

Any suggestions? Thanks

Shawn

5 REPLIES 5

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Exactly what brand, model and capacity of card are you using? Is it a full size SD card or a micro SD with an adapter?

Sunnie2700
Apprentice

I am using a SanDisk 64GB memory card UHS-1 with adapter

A-Ha! That may be your issue. Canon's manuals don't seem to spell it out in so many words, but they don't recommend using the micro SD cards and adapters. Not that they don't seem to work in some cases, but they're known to cause issues frequently enough to be considered an unnecessary source of frustration. Maybe one of the Canon Products Experts will pop in here and state his case.

Try a full size SD card in the camera and see if that brings things back to normal and allows you to do a low-level format. Then get out there and start shooting!

And most of the long time members here will also probably suggest using a couple smaller capacity cards instead of one big one. This way, if one card fails or gets lost you might be able to salvage at least some shots from your other cards. 

Try formating your micro SD card in your computer ( win 10 ) but not the previous version.

Hi Sunnie2700,

Thanks for posting.

Your camera isn't compatible with memory cards that use the UHS-I standard. We recommend the use of full-sized memory cards, too. Also, we recommend that you format your camera, only in your camera.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements