cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash synchronization issue

gogo1
Contributor

PowerShot sx730 hs

It looks the flash speed is not synchronized.

If someone moves during the shooting, he gets smashed head or body. The woman and the man on the right.

This is the first camera from more than 10, which has such issue. Is it adjustable or I need to send it for repair?

Attached original and  fixed head.

IMG_0101a  original.jpgIMG_0101 copy.jpg

17 REPLIES 17

@gogo1 wrote:

Like I mentioned, it is not the problem with the wide-angle lens in this case. I resolved it with cropping the picture. The problems are the faces in the center. I have several pictures distorted like that. The annoying thing is it happens regularly and for me this is when one of the people turn his head at the time of shooting and his had gets smashed.

When I started shooting 40 years ago, there was no automatic adjustment and it was hard to determine proper shooter speed and exposure. I was extremely happy, when I used flash, because everything was frozen. But not with this camera.

I agree with Mike, who suggested to check flash mode sync.

If it was not a wrong mode it might be some other issue.    

I cropped your photos and compared them both. I see you did some editing to the face on the lady on the right, but I think it looked fine before the edit.  

I see no problem with the photos.What problem do you see? 

smashed_head.gif

Mike Sowsun

Thank you Mike for the GIF! That is another option for demostration, but I never did gif-animation.

Could you tell me how to send this GIF to Canon expert for explanation?

Save the gif to your computer and then attach it to an email. Just like a photo attachment to any email.

Mike Sowsun

And to send it to who? Any email, please.

I don’t know who to send it to. Call Canon and talk to some one about it, and maybe they could tell you. 

Mike Sowsun

I also forgot to mention that when shooting in situations like this, by slightly zooming-in you will also reduce the most noticeable wide-angle distortion at the outer edges of the frame. It's the same reason why "portrait" lenses tend to be of a short telephoto focal length. If you do a web search for "wide angle lens distortion" you'll find plenty of information about the effect and how to control it.

I didn't download your PSD file as I don't have a Dropbox account. But it might still be helpful if you post a sample of the original, uncropped image. Even downsized to something around 1600 x 1200 would be okay. Actually, I think I found a copy of the full-size image on your profile page. And I see why you chose to do the heavy cropping.

It also looks like the camera could have been a bit off level. I didn't see any great amount of distortion on your subjects in the center of the frame but I don't really have any way to make a valid comparison. In general I think a big improvement could have been made simply by zooming in slightly and framing your subjects differently to avoid some of the background clutter.

The more you shoot and experiment and learn what works and what doesn't, the better your images will become.

BurnUnit, the suggestions you are giving are correct to avoid the distortion at the end of the frame.

I uploaded PSD to Dropbox because I didn’t know they have changed their policy and banned sharing links with public, but only through email.

To see the difference, switching the layers is necessary. If these people were unknown, like for you guys, you will barely notice this.

Announcements