Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Fix for SX50HS Image Stabilizer?

I've had an SX50HS since buying it new in 2013 and have been pleased with it, especially for bird photos that I usually take at the maximum zoom of 1200mm (35mm equivalent). My photos (still, not video) are all hand-held, not tripod-mounted, made possible only by the amazing Image Stabilizer (IS). However, about 2 months ago the Image Stabilizer started having severe problems. The lens audibly makes a rapid clicking sound. In the viewfinder, the image zaps back and forth and it is impossible to see a stable image, much less take a photo. If I'm lucky, this clicking settles down after a few minutes, allowing me to photograph normally. But sometimes it keeps clicking and I can't take pictures. Does anyone know of a way to fix this problem? Is a downloadable firmware fix available from Canon? Or are there camera settings that might help? For example, the focus and IS settings I use (in P mode) are Tracking AF, IS Mode Continuous, Dynamic IS 2. Note that IS setting 2 (Reduces camera shake for movie shooting while walking) seemed to reduce the problem compared with Dynamic IS 1 (Enhanced stabilization for movie shooting when walking). 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fix for SX50HS Image Stabilizer?

It is a hardware issue, you have to send it in to Canon.

Dynamic IS only appies to video shooting.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Fix for SX50HS Image Stabilizer?

Thank you. Changing the Dynamic IS setting from 1 to 2 did seem to help the problem even though it says the settings are for video. The clicking has settled down enough that I'll wait until Canon introduces a successor to the SX70, which does not get good reviews. Or switch to the Nikon P950...