cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware updates G5X

Avondale87
Contributor

Are there any updates to firmware for the G5X? 

How does one actually find that out please, other than asking here. 

The manual didn't show anything. 

Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11

Stephen

Hello, Avondale87!

Thanks for reaching out to Canon USA, we're happy to help!

You'll find all of the software and downloads for the PowerShot G5 X on its support page on our website. HERE is a shortcut to that page.

We hope this helps!

Thanks Stephen, much appreciated
I see there's none showing.
Do these sort of cameras get updates in their lifetime? Just curious.

I'd also like to see firmware updates.  One of my biggest bugaboos; you cannot tell how many photos you've shot.  That's absurd for many reasons; one is that it gives you a good idea of how you are really doing battery wise.  Speaking of the battery, one day it seemed to go from full to nearly dead rather suddenly, suggesting that the battery reading indicator needs some help.  Third - from my G11 I'm used to the vivid scene - did very nicely outdoors.  The closest thing to vivid on the G5x is beyond extreme.  Either change it, or dd one like the G11 has.

Thanks!

I was wrong about the picture count issue; during photo viewing press info. But the vivid versus super vivid is a big issue. G11 vivid did a great job outdoors. Super vivid results in very overdone results.

According to the Canon G5X user manual...

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300020273/01/psg5x-cu-en.pdf

...on page 83, you should still have a "Vivid" color setting, as well as several others. Or set your own "Custom Color" profile to suit your own desires.

Hi.  There is, essentially, a Super Vivid setting / scene.  I'm talking about something on the same level as the G11 - the Super Vivid scene looks absurd and unreal.

Since I don't know the exact components of the G11 Vivid, I don't know how do do them in custome settings on the G5x, or for that matter my T5i.  And this does look like a very useful adittion to the firmware.

If you or someone else here can walk all of us through creating a 'vivid' (like the G11) custome setting, that would be great!

I read through the page; is this the equivalent of the G11 vivid setting, and can you put this in Custome Settings to save it?

I'm assuming that you only shoot in JPEG, not RAW, and don't wish to get involved much in doing any editing after the fact?

You're right... It is a little confusing in the manual where they refer to both "Vivid" and "Super Vivid" as though they are the same thing. At any rate, the adjustments they use for their "Vivid" setting are probably based on the same parameters that are available to you in the "My Colors" menu. Reading thru the menu choices again I wonder if their "Positive Film" setting might get you closer to the results you're after.

If not, it may just be a matter of taking the time to do some test shooting with various adjustments to the contrast. sharpness, saturation and various color values to find something suitable. Then save these adjustments as your Custom Color setting. You might even want to write down these settings somewhere for future reference, if needed.

I've got some things to try, probably on my next visit to the NY Botanical Garden several weeks from now.  They should be a lot better than Super Vivid.  Still - Canon, if you are listening, please add a Vivid scene both to the G5x and the T5I!

Announcements