cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter adapter for SX50 HS

Fastfoto
Contributor

I have read some horor stories about the filter adapter for this camera. They all speak of it coming loose very easily. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Thank you,   M.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JimMcDonald
Contributor

The filter adapter I got from Goja, adapts a 58 filter to it, off  Amazon only scares me because it's so dog gone hard to get off or on...almost afraid I'll twist the lens barrel off.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JimMcDonald
Contributor

The filter adapter I got from Goja, adapts a 58 filter to it, off  Amazon only scares me because it's so dog gone hard to get off or on...almost afraid I'll twist the lens barrel off.

Thanks guys !

I have been mulling the idea of an adapter and a UV filter and circular polarizer for my SX40, which uses the same set up as the SX50, for several months now.  Guess I will just forego that idea, save myself some money, and maybe get a few more years service out of my camera.

Been using Polas on my Canon cameras for about 12 years now - wouldn't leave home without 'em. They turn the ordinary into the spectacular; deep blues; kills off unwanted sheens to leaf reflections and allows the richness of nature to spring your photos; provides the much needed depth to a flat and dull surface. I wished I'd been using them 13 years ago!

Next? NDs . . . Oh yes, love 'em.

UVs? In the land of digital? - Can't see it, apart from protecting the important investment you've already made - the Canon Lens. Blue casts and distant horrors, maybe . . . not convinced yet.

Grazie

Grazie

You seem to have missed the point.  The question was not about the pros and cons of polarizing and UV filters.  I think we all agree on that.  The original question was about how well the adapters for them fit the SX40/50 lens.  If the adapter does not fit properly, it is not worth the bother, regardless of the expected benefit, especially if it risks damaging the lens mechanism, and yes, I use a UV filter primarily as a protector.

Sure, allow me to explain fuller.

In underlining the value of using these filters, and demonstrating that the filter adaptor, which I have to use for my SX50 continues to work for me, I consequently use it all the time. I use it all the time because I know the value and the outcomes that filters give me. The Pola, and subsequently the adaptor, is a permanent fixture on my SX50.

Cheers,

Grazie

Thank you so much for your reply to Grazie, whom I believe likes to hear herself talk regardless of what she says. Her answer was so trite that I felt it didn't deserve an answer.

The reason I asked is that I have some Singh-Ray polarizers and ND filters that are more expensive than the camera. I'm a retired photographer that lugged 35+ pounds of camera gear through life and has found nirvana in this little camera from the point of view of weight. The SX50 HC + a carbon fiber tripod and filters, etc = 4 pounds!!!

Once again, thank you for verbalizing my sentiments.

Be well,

M. 

Dear tnicoson:

Thank you so much for your reply to Grazie, whom I believe likes to hear herself talk regardless of what she says. Her answer was so trite that I felt it didn't deserve an answer.

The reason I asked is that I have some Singh-Ray polarizers and ND filters that are more expensive than the camera. I'm a retired photographer that lugged 35+ pounds of camera gear through life and has found nirvana in this little camera from the point of view of weight. The SX50 HC + a carbon fiber tripod and filters, etc = 4 pounds!!!

Once again, thank you for verbalizing my sentiments.

Be well,

M. 

I like the filter adaptor I am using and is most secure.

Cheers

Grazie

I have tries 2 different plastic rings before getting better results with ametal ring for my SX50. The SX40 my wife has is very different ring fit. They are not the same. Rest this artical that shows the best fit ring. It is the one I currently use and am happy with,

Lens Adapter Ring for Canon PowerShot SX50 HS and SX60 Review with Photos I hope this helps.

Announcements