cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External power supply

timgor
Contributor

Hello, I have a question about external power supply for Canon powershot cameras.

Regular battey use about 3.6V to power the cameras.

Some cameras can work with external power supply and they rate as 4.3V

First question: 4.3V value sounds very strange to me. Is it made specifically that users would buy only recommended 4.3V adapter and wouldn't buy any other? I tried to measure real voltage and it varies plus minus 0.1V

Second question: What is the top safe voltage that I can use for my camera? Can I use 5V for exmaple? 5V power supply costs $1.

If somebody don't have an answer I can make a test and "fry" my old camera by increasing the voltage.

I know that lowest voltage is 2.3V (2.2V just shut down the camera).

This is question to experienced users, not to officcial Canon representatives Man Wink

21 REPLIES 21

@timgor wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I believe it is for live view in general, not just shooting video, but I am not a Canon Engineer.

Sounds like reasonable, anyway I will publish my results here If I measure this. i think there is no chance to get this information from engineers.

If your gear isn't calibrated to an NIST Standard, then you'll be wasting your time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@timgor wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I believe it is for live view in general, not just shooting video, but I am not a Canon Engineer.

Sounds like reasonable, anyway I will publish my results here If I measure this. i think there is no chance to get this information from engineers.

If your gear isn't calibrated to an NIST Standard, then you'll be wasting your time.

I don't think that people worry about NIST standarts in simple routine life? Some things can be usefull without NIST. I'm not going to sertify this project with goverment.

Announcements