Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2018

Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

I am trying to upload videos from my Canon Powershot to Photos (SD Slot is damaged so I have to use USB cables from my camera) but when I do, some videos say "Unable to read medadata. The file may be corrupt" while some other videos say "(null)(File name) The operation couldn't be completed." yet all the videos have been filmed in the same format and I have done this task for years and this has never happened before. Screenshot added for error message.

The memory card is also the same as used before

 

If it helps, my MacbookPro is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

 

I attached a screenshot of the error message 

 

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 10.24.27 PM.png

VIP
Posts: 11,714
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

If your USB ports work, then you could always use a card reader.  Are you able to playback the videos in the camera?

 

Corrupt file messages always raises questions about the quality of the memory card. What brand, model, and size capacity memory card are you using?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,558
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook


@Waddizzle wrote:

If your USB ports work, then you could always use a card reader.  Are you able to playback the videos in the camera?

 

Corrupt file messages always raises questions about the quality of the memory card. What brand, model, and size capacity memory card are you using?


I think what the OP is saying is that the card is stuck in the camera, so a card reader wouldn't be an option. It also increases the probability that there's damage to the card. Since this has been going on "for years", it's likely that the repair cost would exceed the value of the camera. Probably time for a new one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP
Posts: 11,714
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

If your USB ports work, then you could always use a card reader.  Are you able to playback the videos in the camera?

 

Corrupt file messages always raises questions about the quality of the memory card. What brand, model, and size capacity memory card are you using?


I think what the OP is saying is that the card is stuck in the camera, so a card reader wouldn't be an option. It also increases the probability that there's damage to the card. Since this has been going on "for years", it's likely that the repair cost would exceed the value of the camera. Probably time for a new one.


Ah, I thought the SD port on the computer was damaged.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2018

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

No no, Wadizzle is correct, my USB slot on my macbook was damaged years ago but my camera is fine and I didn't make any indication about the memory card not being removed from the camera. 

 

But yes, the videos can be played back on the camera and the memory card I have been using is Sandisk 64gb Ultra Plus 10

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2018

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook


@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

If your USB ports work, then you could always use a card reader.  Are you able to playback the videos in the camera?

 

Corrupt file messages always raises questions about the quality of the memory card. What brand, model, and size capacity memory card are you using?


I think what the OP is saying is that the card is stuck in the camera, so a card reader wouldn't be an option. It also increases the probability that there's damage to the card. Since this has been going on "for years", it's likely that the repair cost would exceed the value of the camera. Probably time for a new one.


Ah, I thought the SD port on the computer was damaged.


 

No no, Wadizzle is correct, my USB slot on my macbook was damaged years ago but my camera is fine and I didn't make any indication about the memory card not being removed from the camera. 

 

But yes, the videos can be played back on the camera and the memory card I have been using is Sandisk 64gb Ultra Plus 10

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,752
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

[ Edited ]

Did you try a new cable?

When was the last time you re-formatted the card in the camera?

Have you tried using ImageCapture directly and bypassing Photos?

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2018

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook


@kvbarkley wrote:

Did you try a new cable?

When was the last time you re-formatted the card in the camera?

Have you tried using ImageCapture directly and bypassing Photos?


So i honestly can't remember the last time I was able to reformat the card since I can't use the SD slot. But I have used different cables and the cables that do read it show the same message

I haven't used Image Capture, let me try that and see what happens

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,752
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

When was the last time you re-formatted the card *in the camera*?

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎12-06-2018

Re: Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook


@kvbarkley wrote:

When was the last time you re-formatted the card *in the camera*?


That I never have

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement