cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

aj2475
Contributor

I am trying to upload videos from my Canon Powershot to Photos (SD Slot is damaged so I have to use USB cables from my camera) but when I do, some videos say "Unable to read medadata. The file may be corrupt" while some other videos say "(null)(File name) The operation couldn't be completed." yet all the videos have been filmed in the same format and I have done this task for years and this has never happened before. Screenshot added for error message.

The memory card is also the same as used before

If it helps, my MacbookPro is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I attached a screenshot of the error message 

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 10.24.27 PM.png

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If your USB ports work, then you could always use a card reader.  Are you able to playback the videos in the camera?

Corrupt file messages always raises questions about the quality of the memory card. What brand, model, and size capacity memory card are you using?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If your USB ports work, then you could always use a card reader.  Are you able to playback the videos in the camera?

Corrupt file messages always raises questions about the quality of the memory card. What brand, model, and size capacity memory card are you using?

I think what the OP is saying is that the card is stuck in the camera, so a card reader wouldn't be an option. It also increases the probability that there's damage to the card. Since this has been going on "for years", it's likely that the repair cost would exceed the value of the camera. Probably time for a new one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think what the OP is saying is that the card is stuck in the camera, so a card reader wouldn't be an option. It also increases the probability that there's damage to the card. Since this has been going on "for years", it's likely that the repair cost would exceed the value of the camera. Probably time for a new one.

Ah, I thought the SD port on the computer was damaged.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No no, Wadizzle is correct, my USB slot on my macbook was damaged years ago but my camera is fine and I didn't make any indication about the memory card not being removed from the camera. 

But yes, the videos can be played back on the camera and the memory card I have been using is Sandisk 64gb Ultra Plus 10

@aj2475 wrote:

No no, Wadizzle is correct, my USB slot on my macbook was damaged years ago but my camera is fine and I didn't make any indication about the memory card not being removed from the camera. 

But yes, the videos can be played back on the camera and the memory card I have been using is Sandisk 64gb Ultra Plus 10

Then Waddizzle is also correct that you should try using a card reader. Any other solution merely adds unnecessary complexity.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

At this time I don't have a card reader.

I went ahead and formatted my card through my camera (SX740 btw)

I filmed two shots, one is under 2 minutes and the other is over 10 minutes. The shorter clip uploaded immediately and the longer clip has this message Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 1.50.25 PM.png

Sorry, I guess you will need to get a card reader. It looks like the camera responds slower than the Mac expects it to.

But that still doesn't answer the question why this is all of a sudden even after re-formatting the card?

Can't answer. Many Macs have a card reader built in, except the low end macbooks with USB-C only.

Announcements