cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

aj2475
Contributor

I am trying to upload videos from my Canon Powershot to Photos (SD Slot is damaged so I have to use USB cables from my camera) but when I do, some videos say "Unable to read medadata. The file may be corrupt" while some other videos say "(null)(File name) The operation couldn't be completed." yet all the videos have been filmed in the same format and I have done this task for years and this has never happened before. Screenshot added for error message.

The memory card is also the same as used before

If it helps, my MacbookPro is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I attached a screenshot of the error message 

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 10.24.27 PM.png

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I found some interesting notes from 2017 regarding this error and it was due to using cheap USB cables.  Are you using the original USB cable as provided by Canon, or a third party cable?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

I found some interesting notes from 2017 regarding this error and it was due to using cheap USB cables.  Are you using the original USB cable as provided by Canon, or a third party cable?

I am not sure where the cable came from but I am using the same cable as before and when I try different cables they all have th same outcome 

@rs-eos wrote:

I do not think cameras in this demographic come with a cable.  It adds too much to the final price.  I think that there is an assumption made that most users of these cameras will typically own another device that uses a similar cable.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Which PowerShot are you using?

Generally speaking, we stopped including cables when we started putting WiFi in our cameras, so if your PowerShot has WiFi built-in, your camera wouldn't have come with a cable. Our cables typically have a shielding device on them. It's like a barrell on one end of the cable like this:

Shielded USB

It could be a malfunctioning cable, or it could be corrupt data in the files. Can your camera read the images/videos correctly? 

If you don't have another USB cable that matches the camera, you can either get another USB cable, or look into getting an SD card reader, either will do the job. 

Announcements