cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when uploading videos from Powershot to Macbook

aj2475
Contributor

I am trying to upload videos from my Canon Powershot to Photos (SD Slot is damaged so I have to use USB cables from my camera) but when I do, some videos say "Unable to read medadata. The file may be corrupt" while some other videos say "(null)(File name) The operation couldn't be completed." yet all the videos have been filmed in the same format and I have done this task for years and this has never happened before. Screenshot added for error message.

The memory card is also the same as used before

If it helps, my MacbookPro is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

I attached a screenshot of the error message 

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 10.24.27 PM.png

16 REPLIES 16

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

If your USB ports work, then you could always use a card reader.  Are you able to playback the videos in the camera?

Corrupt file messages always raises questions about the quality of the memory card. What brand, model, and size capacity memory card are you using?

I think what the OP is saying is that the card is stuck in the camera, so a card reader wouldn't be an option. It also increases the probability that there's damage to the card. Since this has been going on "for years", it's likely that the repair cost would exceed the value of the camera. Probably time for a new one.

Ah, I thought the SD port on the computer was damaged.

No no, Wadizzle is correct, my USB slot on my macbook was damaged years ago but my camera is fine and I didn't make any indication about the memory card not being removed from the camera. 

But yes, the videos can be played back on the camera and the memory card I have been using is Sandisk 64gb Ultra Plus 10

Did you try a new cable?

When was the last time you re-formatted the card in the camera?

Have you tried using ImageCapture directly and bypassing Photos?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Did you try a new cable?

When was the last time you re-formatted the card in the camera?

Have you tried using ImageCapture directly and bypassing Photos?

So i honestly can't remember the last time I was able to reformat the card since I can't use the SD slot. But I have used different cables and the cables that do read it show the same message

I haven't used Image Capture, let me try that and see what happens

When was the last time you re-formatted the card *in the camera*?

@kvbarkley wrote:

That I never have

@aj2475 wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

That I never have

This should be mandatory.  Despite all appearances to the contrary, memory cards do not come preformatted.  The formatting on new memory cards is actually residue from production testing, which MUST be completely wiped with a low level format, preferably performed on a PC, and then again in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No luck using image capture either

Announcements