cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elph 360 Color not right?

Camera2
Contributor

Hi, I was given an Elph 360 and my old Elph got the perfect color when I left it on the auto setting. This new Elph 360 doesn't, even when I use the Program setting and adjust the AWB to the different lighting conditions. Prefer not to use the flash indoors. Any other tips? Thank you in advance!

17 REPLIES 17

ScottyP
Authority

I am familiar with Canon DSLR's but:

Can an Elph use a custom white balance?  If so takes good picture of a sheet of copier paper without glare and then set that as your custom white. Then using custom WB immediately take some shots in that same lighting. Does it look right?

Also try reseting all settings to default. Maybe someone accidentally set a color shift on the x y color axis, if Elphs have that

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks ScottyP - I found a custom white balance setting. It helped a bit but the coloring still seems off. It was originally on factory settings as it was just opened.

newsense52
Rising Star

I have SX710HS and the problem is color saturation in all modes in LCD and print outs except in auto setting. This is one of the problem that cannon camera I do not like. I reset the camera setting  to factory default values and never use other modes except auto, the print pictures from CVS or Target are better ( with or without flash ).

@newsense52 wrote:

I have SX710HS and the problem is color saturation in all modes in LCD and print outs except in auto setting. This is one of the problem that cannon camera I do not like. I reset the camera setting  to factory default values and never use other modes except auto, the print pictures from CVS or Target are better ( with or without flash ).

Printing is an entirely separate issue from image capture.  Even how an image is displayed is a totally separate issue from image capture.  Professionals use calibrated color monitors, as well as, calibrated photo printers.

Judging from your brief descriptions, if the pictures look "better" as prints from CVS or Target, then your camera is most likely capturing images just fine.  Perhaps you have a problem with the camera's LCD, which isn't a good tool to use to judge images critically.

Furthermore, [AUTO] is not the best mode to use, if you want high quality images.  The camera tries, as best it can, but it usually needs a fine tuning of the exposure settings to get the best images.  You cannot fine tune the exposure in [AUTO] mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A good camera is good in LCD and print quality.  No excuses for that. Digital signals carries the qualities of a capture.

It is because the auto mode gives the quality I like than any other mode, no matter what you say about comparison, auto mode is better than any " fine tuning "  which resulting a bad capture of image.

My comment on comparison is that not absolute, only the print quality says about the camera. The LCD view is only in the eye of the beholder.

@newsense52 wrote:

A good camera is good in LCD and print quality.  No excuses for that. Digital signals carries the qualities of a capture.

It is because the auto mode gives the quality I like than any other mode, no matter what you say about comparison, auto mode is better than any " fine tuning "  which resulting a bad capture of image.

My comment on comparison is that not absolute, only the print quality says about the camera. The LCD view is only in the eye of the beholder.

Okay.  Actually I have no idea what your complaint might be.  First, you say the LCD and print quality is good.  You finish by saying that the print quality is not good.

A word to the wise, though.  Just because you may get your best results in [AUTO] mode, that does not mean it is the best shooting mode to use.  Professionals have cameras with automatic shooting modes, but they prefer to use fully manual modes.  Like I said, manual shooting modes give you total control over the exposure.

I suggest that you do a web search on two topics:  " Exposure Triangle " and " Depth Of Field ".  May all your shots be keepers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Powershot is a kind of point and shoot camera that is why auto mode works well because it is designed for that use. Other manual mode with fine tuning do not work well because it is not designed for that kind of manipulation. I would like to point out that every camera has its own design and purpose, the general rules applied to prof. camera are not applied to non prof. camera, bec. nobody will buy  prof. camera  if non prof. camera works the same as prof. camera. Non prof. camera has disavantages.

mgalawin
Apprentice

I realize this is an old post that I am replying to, but I had the same issue. The colors of our new Canon Elph 360 HS looked terrible both on camera and when transferred to a computer or smartphone. Everything looked washed out. I found that changing the "My Colors" to "Vivid Green" resolved the issue. Yellows that looked almost white are now the appropriate color.

We were ready to throw out this camera until I discovered this, but it is very disappointing that we have to specify "Vivid Green" to make colors look natural and not washed out. Very disappointed in this camera.

Announcements