Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

ELPH 160 Focus Stops Working??

Hi all

I have owned Canon's mega-zooms for years, so when I picked up a simple Elph 160 to take Ebay photos with, I knew it would be more limited than my SX40HS.

Took a while, but I figured out how to access the "P" function, as the AUTO was driving me insane.

Here's the issue:  the camera stops focusing in any way after snapping a few photos.  I have messed with every setting I can think of, and the only way so far to get it to focus again is to turn the thing off/on. 

Has anyone else had this issue?  The battery display says I have full charge.  It also does it in AUTO mode. 

HELP!  If it proves to be a defect, I need to return it to the seller ASAP.

Looking for people's thoughts...

Respected Contributor

Re: ELPH 160 Focus Stops Working??

The answer is easy...send it back while you can!!

There is no reason it will do that unless it is defective

New Contributor

I just had a thought...

Perhaps the battery isn't REALLY charged.  I only had it in the charger maybe 15 minutes.  I am going to wait until the light glows GREEN and try it again.  I know my boyfriend's DSLR acts up if the battery isn't properly charged. 

Respected Contributor

Yes that is true the focus mechanism does put a drain on the battery so yes be sure it is fully charged I thought it was

New Contributor

"I thought it was" ----- yup, so did I! ;-)