Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Download pictures from Powershot A400 to new laptop?

I am on vacation and am trying to download pictures from my Canon Powershot A400 camera to my new laptop. All camera documentation is back home. Laptop does not recognize camera when I plug in with usb connection. Any suggestions on drivers/software that I may need to download and install?

Occasional Contributor

Re: Download pictures from Powershot A400 to new laptop?

Do you have an active Internet connection during the download attempt?

New Contributor

Yes, I have had no problem downloading what appears to be the right software, with a good internet connection. But, when I try to use the software to access the photos in the camera, I get a message that no camera is found. I have hooked to several usb ports, which work well with other devices. Doesn't seem like I should need an internet connection while I am downloading from the camera, but, yes, I do have a good internet connection.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

The reason I asked about having a live Internet connection is that I have noticed that when attempting to connect via wifi, it just doesn't work if you don't have a live Internet connection, which makes no sense to me. But that isn't your problem if you are using a USB cable (I am able to transfer pictures over USB without a live Internet connection).

On Windows 7, I installed from the support site. You probably want to download from here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_a_series/powershot_a400_sil...

Once I downloaded and installed the software from the support site I plugged my camera into the computer. At that point, the operating system installed the USB driver. But if you get a "camera not found", I suspect you already have installed the software and drivers. And you've tried different USB ports (my very old Canon software refused to work on any port besides the one I installed on).

The documentation is available here: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_a_series/powershot_a400_sil... as long as you have a way to download and read a PDF.