cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the powershot sx50 hs require an adapter to mount a UV filter?

thefluss
Apprentice

Can you directly screw a Canon UV filter on a powershot sx50 hs?

7 REPLIES 7

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Thefluss,

When equipped with the optional Filter Adapter FA-DC67A, the PowerShot SX50 HS will accept a 67mm filter.

I hope this helps.

Richard

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Another option is to purchase an adapter manufactured by Lensmate that allows you to use 58mm filters instead of 67mm, and you can do so without any vignetting or other negative optical effects.  The main benefit of going the 58mm route is that those filters are approximately one-third to half the cost of the 67mm filters, and when you're looking to buy something like an 800nm IR filter the savings can be huge.  I bought the adapter for my brand new SX50 and the setup works perfectly.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that with other SX50 owners so that they know there's another filter option for them.

This may be a very stupid question, but why can't one simply screw a filter directly onto the lens of an SX50 (or, more relevant to me, an SX70)? There are threads there. If the answer is you can, what size filter would I buy?

Thanks much!

MIke

Hi Mike,

The threads on the PowerShot SX50 are for the Filter Adapter FA-DC67A. Without the adapter, the PowerShot SX50 has a non-standard filter size. The adapter allows for attaching standard 67mm filters, which are widely available from a variety of companies. We make a few filters, but there are also companies like  B+W. Hoya, and Tiffen who specialize in filters.

In theory, any threaded 67mm filter should attach to the Filter Adapter FA-DC67A, so that gives you some options, but I would caution against using the cheapest filters available. A lens can only be as sharp as the elements in front of it allow, and that includes filters.

I hope that helps!

It certainly does help! I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of the adapter ring and a high-quality 67mm polarizing filter. Thanks much!

@Mike1066 wrote:

It certainly does help! I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of the adapter ring and a high-quality 67mm polarizing filter. Thanks much!

I only use “Clear” protective filters on my DSLR lenses.  Most digital cameras have a UV filter built into the sensor assembly, so you do not really need one.  Most filter effects can be reproduced in a computer, anyway.

A CP filter works by only allowing light waves to pass that “resonate” within a narrow range of angles.  This removes phase information from the light, which can have a negative effect on the newer image sensors that use “phase detection” focusing algorithms.  Older image sensors use “contrast detection”, which is not impaired by the use of a CP filter.

Finally, be aware of the effects that the extra weight of an adapter and a filter can have the autofocus motors in the camera.  Filters are fairly light weight.  There are specialized adapters, like ultra wide angle, that are much heavier.  These can add considerable weight and strain your motors.  

Also, as previously noted, the additional optical elements on your camera will only detract from the image quality.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I just purchased a 67mm adapter for my Canon SX50HS; and, now that it's arrived I certainly can't see that it'll fit.  I read tons of stuff and 'thought' I had determined I needed the 67mm.  I want to add a polarizing filter to my camera.  I have an adapter for my other Canon SX50HS but couldn't see what it's size was.  Did I order the wrong size?

Thanks, anyone, for any assistance,

Jeanine

Announcements