cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the powershot camera sometimes skip a number?

Furcow
Apprentice

'm trying to find out if someone has experienced that this camera sometimes skips a number. The name is normally: IMG_ followed by a number of four digits, followed with a dot and the extention JPG. The number of the following photo is +1. I want to know if it s it possible that the software, or hardware names the following photo +2.

3 REPLIES 3

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Furcow,

Under optimal circumstances, the file naming should go in sequential order, but there are a few things which can affect it. Most often this is seen simply from deleting photos as you shoot. For example, say your first five images are listed as 00001, 00002, 00003, 00004, 00005 and you delete 00003. The camera will not name the next image 00003 so there will be a gapy between 00002 and 00004. Another common cause would be if you don't format the memory card after importing all your images but you do delete a large number of images from the memory card either with your computer or with the erase function on your camera, residual data can trick the camera into thinking a certain file name is already taken so ti will not name a new image with that same number.

Typically this is nothing to worry about, as it is most often just the camera being under the impression that the file name is already taken, but to minimize how often this happens, it would be recommended to clear out the memory card after you transfer your images by using the Format function in your camera's setup menu. This will completely erase the memory card including any residual data so that the card functions like it is new.

Thank you for your elaborate answer. The thing is that there is a missing photo on my SD-card and i found that there is no gap between the files before end after this photo. How is that possible?

@Furcow wrote:

Thank you for your elaborate answer. The thing is that there is a missing photo on my SD-card and i found that there is no gap between the files before end after this photo. How is that possible?

Without knowing what camera you have, and what types of photos you captured, there is no way to fully explain what may have happened.  For example, the G5X Mark II is capable of capturing in-camera panoramic shots.  

Creating an in-camera pano shot would necessitate that you capture multiple photos, but the camera would combine them into a single image file, and would probably delete the originals.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements