cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do any Powershot cameras allow exposures longer than 15 seconds?

raydunakin
Contributor

I want to be able to shoot exposures of at least a minute or more, primarily for photographing night shots of lightning, stars, meteor showers, etc. I'd also like to have the convenience and affordability of a point and shoot camera. So far all the Canon point and shoot cameras I've looked at only permit exposures no greater than 15 seconds. Are there any that allow longer exposure times?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smack53
Mentor

Hi raydunakin,

The reason you are not finding many PowerShot cameras that shoot longer than 15 seconds is that with the small sensors, heating becomes an issue. Too much heat can shorten the life of the sensor, or even corrupt data on the chip. The Canon Hack Developers Kit (CHDK) is a software that can be downloaded to a number of PowerShot cameras to exceed that limitation. If you go that route, use it sparingly to avoid the possible damage from heat buildup on the sensor.

If you increase the price range, the PowerShot G series cameras (G16, G7X, G1X) can exceed the 15 seconds in Tv and Manual modes. These cameras have larger sensors, larger camera bodies, and are not as prone to heat failure from longer exposure times. But be ready to fork over some serious money. These are not cheap, starting about $500.00, and going up fast from there. If longer exposure times are important to you, you might want to consider an entry level DSLR or ILC camera. They can be had for around the same money and yield much better low light performance.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

smack53
Mentor

Hi raydunakin,

The reason you are not finding many PowerShot cameras that shoot longer than 15 seconds is that with the small sensors, heating becomes an issue. Too much heat can shorten the life of the sensor, or even corrupt data on the chip. The Canon Hack Developers Kit (CHDK) is a software that can be downloaded to a number of PowerShot cameras to exceed that limitation. If you go that route, use it sparingly to avoid the possible damage from heat buildup on the sensor.

If you increase the price range, the PowerShot G series cameras (G16, G7X, G1X) can exceed the 15 seconds in Tv and Manual modes. These cameras have larger sensors, larger camera bodies, and are not as prone to heat failure from longer exposure times. But be ready to fork over some serious money. These are not cheap, starting about $500.00, and going up fast from there. If longer exposure times are important to you, you might want to consider an entry level DSLR or ILC camera. They can be had for around the same money and yield much better low light performance.

Steve M.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into that.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Some further info. Even the top of the line PowerShot G1X Mark II only goes to 60 seconds.

If greater than 60 seconds is important then what you want to look for is a camera that has a Bulb Mode. The name is a hold over from early camera days. In Bulb Mode you press the shutter button once and the shutter opens; press it again and it closes. The camera performs no analysis of the image for exposure; it simply opens and closes the shutter. You either need to computer the exposure from some means or use trial and error.

If this is important I think you will be looking at a DSLR (at least in the canon family). The SL1 is small.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. I'm familiar with the bulb setting from years of using a film camera for these kinds of shots. I was hoping there might be a pocket camera with that capability, but apparently not.

Do all of the Canon DSLR cameras have Bulb Mode?

@raydunakin wrote:
Do all of the Canon DSLR cameras have Bulb Mode?

Not all Canon Cameras have it, but my Canon 60D DSLR has Bulb Mode.   You can get a 60D at very good prices now, even better prices than some of the Rebels, especially the newer ones.   You can google to see what other Canon's have that. 

Announcements