cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss best settings for non-DSLR camera - Bird shots.

GloriaS
Contributor

Hello All,

I want inhanced feather defination, especially for white birds.  I usually take shots before 11AM and between 3PM and sunset.

Owner of a Canon Power Shot SX50 HS.    I like the 50X zoom, but maybe I zoom in too much or birds are to far away.

Seagull

21 REPLIES 21

I have changed all Modes to JEPG.   Also I did save a PFD file for viewing the Canon manual.  I have been reading as I get a chance.

cicopo
Elite

I think the most important thing to help with feather detail is a high shutter speed AND rock steady camera. ANY camera shake will smear that detail and the longer the lens (as in the higher the mm number used) the more that shake smear will destroy fine detail. This applies to any camera / lens combo & we've been taught to always use a shutter speed above 1/focal length when not using a good tripod. SO if your SX50 is zoomed to 500 mm (35 mm film camera equavelent) you need at least a 1/500 shutter speed BUT IS can allow slightly slower but it's better to have a higher shutter speed than depend on IS. 

I also agree that shooting in RAW will help retain better detail but I suspect shooting gulls like in your sample may also fool the metering slightly (the grey & white colours) so you may need to adjust your exposure slightly if the gull fills most of the frame.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements