cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss best settings for non-DSLR camera - Bird shots.

GloriaS
Contributor

Hello All,

I want inhanced feather defination, especially for white birds.  I usually take shots before 11AM and between 3PM and sunset.

Owner of a Canon Power Shot SX50 HS.    I like the 50X zoom, but maybe I zoom in too much or birds are to far away.

Seagull

21 REPLIES 21

Thanks again!  Good info to know as a learner.  My point and shoot camera does have Image Stabilizer and I have that turned on. 

Thanks for that additional info.  I appreciate your input on this subject!

Oh boy!  I have read all the info on the link you sent to me.  All new info for a beginner photographer.  I do like the RAW vs JEPG explaination.  Question:  I have set RAW & JEPG on my camera which is a point and shoot with 50X zoom.  Set on this for shooting with P, TV, AV and M modes.  I have set my ISO to Auto for all modes.    TV has 1/500, AV has F5.6,  and Manual has 80 ISO, 1/500 and F5.6.

I do not know which settings right or wrong.  Camera was a gift with no instructions.

Hi Gloria,

I just ran across your post hope it's not too late (since you may have already become an expert BIF shooter already :)).  Shooting birds is also my passion.  I now have a DSLR but I also started with a point and shoot.  A P&S such as yours is very good for birds, especially if they are not moving fast. I find that the autofocus is simply too slow to catch birds in flight regularly.

Birds are generally too far away, requiring you to zoom in quite a bit.  Even for optical zoom, the image will not be the clearest at high magnification.  On top of that, motion blur and atmospheric effects (haze, smoke, etc.) will make the images a blurry mess.  Here are my tips for razor sharp images.  They are of equal importance, I simply list them as they come to mind, not by order of importance.

1.  Get as close as possible so you zoom less.  The less you zoom in the better the images will be.

2.  Disable digital zoom, use only optical zoom.  Digital zoom is horrible.

3.  Brace yourself as much as possible.  It's even better to use a monopod or tripod for anything that requires 10x zoom or more.

4.  When handholding, take a deep breath and take the shot as you exhale...it minimizes shake.

5.  Use manual or Tv mode, for zoom shots (5x to 50x), set the Tv to  1/1000 or faster when handholding.  You can set Auto ISO for ease of use.  In manual mode, set the Av to as high a value as the light permit (e.g. f/8 is better than f/4).

6.  You mentioned white birds...you need to use exposure compensation to make the image darker by a stop, otherwise the white feathers will be solid white without any features.  In reverse, for a dark bird, use the exposure compensation to make the image lighter by a stop.

Have fun and let me know if these help your shots.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Hi diverhank,

Thank you so much for your suggestions.  I have been trying different settings and, well, things don't seem to be improving.

I am still trying and not giving up.

Question:  If I zoom less and crop to make the image larger, will the image be blurry?  Also, I have heard that using Manual Mode, AV, etc. will use up my memory card really fast...true?

Some of the shots I've taken in other modes other than AUTO, I can't see or crop after I import them to my computer.   How come?

"Also, I have heard that using Manual Mode, AV, etc. will use up my memory card really fast...true?"

NOT TRUE.

What software do you use to open or edit your photos? If you shoot RAW it may not recognize the files but they should still get copied to your computer. Also are you using a Windows based computer or a Mac.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Hello Cicopo,

I have Windows Live Photo Gallery.   The RAW, RAW/JEPG shots do get imported but are not recognized for cropping or editing.

Gloria,

You might want to download and install the RAW Codec from Microsoft.  It will enable your computer to recognize the RAW files.  This is compatible with your SX50

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

I would still recommend installing the Canon DPP program.  Adjust your RAW files there then convert them to Jpeg for use.

Edit: Just saw your pictures...they are great pictures...they are a bit soft but I think they simply need a bit of contrast adjustment.  Not sure what your program does, in photoshop, I manipulate clarity, vibrancy and saturation to make the images pop and I must admit I overdo it often.

This picture was my very first bird picture taken from an SX10 IS P&S camera.  I didn't know what I was doing back then but this was about as good as I can get it to do for me.

My first "BIF" picture that got me hooked

Here is a recent picture I took using a Canon 5DMkIII DSLR and a Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L lens...the difference is mainly the ability to focus on and freeze fast actions required for BIF.

20131221_El Dorado_0032

Another freeze action shot, against the sun...this is where a better camera (DSLR) shines... Pelican With Fish In Mouth

@GloriaS wrote:

1. Question:  If I zoom less and crop to make the image larger, will the image be blurry?  Also, I have heard that using Manual Mode, AV, etc. will use up my memory card really fast...true?

2. Some of the shots I've taken in other modes other than AUTO, I can't see or crop after I import them to my computer.   How come?

#1.  What I meant is for you to get as close to the bird as possible to fill the frame without having to zoom in.   Some people stay far away from the birds (while they can physically get closer) and zoom in instead because they can (50X!!!).  You should zoom as the last resort but it's still better than cropping the image to make it larger.  You DO NOT want to crop to make the image larger.  This is the same as digital zoom and it's horrible.

Using non-auto modes like M or Av, Tv will not use up your memory card any faster than auto mode.

#2.  Not sure what the problem is.  It is possible you have RAW selected.  The computer file explorer may not recognize them.  You need to use programs like the Canon DPP or Photoshop to see and edit them.  Try to switch the camera to Jpeg and see if you can see and edit them when using other non-auto mode.  You need to get off auto mode if you want to take good pictures of birds...you need control of the Tv...a high value of Tv alone will improve your zoomed in pictures significantly.

After you have tried my tips and others' herein and still don't get the results you want...you might want to invest in a good DSLR and good lenses...there is so much a P&S can do...there are exceptions of course but the bird pictures that make you go wow will most likely come from a DSLR and a good L lens.

Thanks again, diverhank!

Bird photo examples that I have taken on 1/15/14.

Announcements