cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dirt in my lenses

WWPierre
Apprentice

I have a Canon Power Shot A800 and a PS A1400. I carry the A800 around in my pocket for daily use and I also use both cameras for digiscoping. (A bracket holds the camera over the eyepiece of one of my telescopes.) Both cameras have dirt in the lens mechanism which may or not show up depending on zoom and/or focus. The first two pics are from the A1400. (The blur is movement from pressing the shutter. Did the dirt come from carrying the camera around in my pocket? Can I clean these myself?IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

The last pic was taken by the A800 at full zoom.

IMG_5866.JPG

Perhaps I will be able to compose my next post more professionally. 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

John_
Authority

I'm not sure how they both got dirty, perhaps your pocket did it to one somehow? Even if you could take them apart, then take the lens assembly apart to clean it you would not be able to put it back together correctly without the expensive alignment tools etc. to get the lens back together and working correctly. To get them serviced and cleaned would cost more than they are worth or very close. If you like those models look for working used/refurbished ones and get yourself a belt case or one of those fanny pack cases instead of the pocket. Maybe I'm wrong and someone else will chime in with a  less dismal reply...but I think your cameras are toast now, so sorry. 

View solution in original post

The ELPH 180 arrived. I found a soft case to fit it, so it can live in my pocket. It is pretty impressive, according to my tests. Fairly sharp photos even at full optical zoom. The other cameras work quite well in most configurations.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

John_
Authority

I'm not sure how they both got dirty, perhaps your pocket did it to one somehow? Even if you could take them apart, then take the lens assembly apart to clean it you would not be able to put it back together correctly without the expensive alignment tools etc. to get the lens back together and working correctly. To get them serviced and cleaned would cost more than they are worth or very close. If you like those models look for working used/refurbished ones and get yourself a belt case or one of those fanny pack cases instead of the pocket. Maybe I'm wrong and someone else will chime in with a  less dismal reply...but I think your cameras are toast now, so sorry. 

Thanks, John. I suspected as much. I have a PS ELPH 180 on the way. It has (looks like) glass over the lens instead of the thin metal iris type protection of the A models. No belt opportunity, cargo pants and suspenders. 🙂

An alternative would be to get an all-condition camera like the Canon D30 - basically it is an underwater camera, so it it sealed and it is designed to take rough handling.  If you decide to go for a camera like that I would have a look at DPRIEW's site and see their review of tough cameras.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The ELPH 180 arrived. I found a soft case to fit it, so it can live in my pocket. It is pretty impressive, according to my tests. Fairly sharp photos even at full optical zoom. The other cameras work quite well in most configurations.
Announcements