cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in "auto" and "P" setting?

samintx
Enthusiast

I have several Canon cameras. I know the general guidelines of "auto" and the "P" setting I use for Macro setting (SX280). One "P" setting says "for shooting near and far" on the SX280 and a variety of adjustments on the other SLR digitals cameras. Am I right in the macro setting? and what about "near and far" setting? Auto probably adjusts the camera as to light and speed over the "P" setting.

I'm not a camera maven, very basic point and shoot but want to acquaint and try new settings with my Canons.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"P" mode is the new Auto mode so to speak. Unless you change any settings in P mode it is just like Auto mode when you first select it. If you wish to try new and different settings then P mode will allow more flexibility whereas Auto not so much. I shoot mostly in P mode myself. Certainly whatever is available in Auto mode is also likely available in P mode but the reverse is not true. I have the SX50 but I bet it it still applies to your SX280.

In regards to focus both settings will automatically focus but when in Macro mode the focus distance is limited to closer distances as noted in the manual. If you have a subject that has little detail in the middle of the frame where the focus frame is try using focus lock on an area of the subject where there is more detail for the lens to capture and focus on. I dont think you can move the focus frame around in your model. Focus lock is when you hold your shutter button halfway down then once you have the focus you want, still holding the shutter button halfway down, you can recenter your subject. That applies to all shooting modes not just Macro.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

swandy
Contributor

I am not all familiar with Canon cameras - used them years ago (probably before the P/Auto modes) and don't use my wife's Powershot SD960 all that much. But, having said that, I just got myself the G7X and it has the same options.

As near as I can tell, neither is a dedicated Macro mode. The differences are the amount of control the camera has vs how many control options you can change yourself. In Auto - the camera basically does everything and the amount of options you have is very limited. It is basically made for people who want the camera to basically do everything - either because they are beginners or don't care as long as they get some sort of picture.

P mode allows much more control over the camera operations and settings. Very similar to Tv (Shutter Priority) or Av (Aperture Priority) except you can't directly control either Shutter speed or aperture. 

I don't have the camera in front of me right now, but I would assume that you can switch the camera to Macro focusing from either mode.

Thanks. Yes. Macro available in both modes and I have taken picts in Macro/auto and /P to compare. I assume "auto" would adjust everything automatically but I have also found I can take good pictures in "P". Guess I just keep comparing and messing with"P" and see what works best for me.

"P" mode is the new Auto mode so to speak. Unless you change any settings in P mode it is just like Auto mode when you first select it. If you wish to try new and different settings then P mode will allow more flexibility whereas Auto not so much. I shoot mostly in P mode myself. Certainly whatever is available in Auto mode is also likely available in P mode but the reverse is not true. I have the SX50 but I bet it it still applies to your SX280.

In regards to focus both settings will automatically focus but when in Macro mode the focus distance is limited to closer distances as noted in the manual. If you have a subject that has little detail in the middle of the frame where the focus frame is try using focus lock on an area of the subject where there is more detail for the lens to capture and focus on. I dont think you can move the focus frame around in your model. Focus lock is when you hold your shutter button halfway down then once you have the focus you want, still holding the shutter button halfway down, you can recenter your subject. That applies to all shooting modes not just Macro.

OK. I didn't see a diff really in the shots taken with the SX280 in "P" and Auto. I also have the SX50 and SX510 so your message is very helpful and rather confirming to me. I realize that "auto" is fixed within the camera's mindset which is fine with me. I want to get into lense speeds eventually but on vacation I am always at the end of the line "hurry up" from the leader. No time for many adjustments with a camera.

Going to play around with this new knowledge and see where it leads me! Thanks.

Announcements