cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I damage my new SX50HS?

vincentmoy
Apprentice

So earlier I pressed my lens up against a glass to take some pictures. I was trying to zoom out and than I heard a few clicks because I forgot it was up against the glass. When I turned it off after the lens retracted, there was 1 more click.

I turned it back on and go through the zoom range (24mm to 1200mm) and at both extreme the marking was right on.

I'm wondering if I have damage any internal components.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

So when you had the lens against the glass you accidentally zoomed in instead of out? Forced the lens against the glass?

Keep trying it throughout the range also checking the focus. Take pictures etc., if everything looks and sounds normal I think your ok. I can't say for certain on the SX50HS but my guess is there is a safety feature to protect the gears and lens drive system from exactly what happened to you. Kind of like a slip-clutch setup which is what that clicking noise was that you heard. And when the lens retracted at power down it reset itself with that last click. I dont think there is damage to the lens drive but check it thorougly. Unless you have accidental damage coverage you may get charged for any service if you bring it in now.

Video

Here is a video. Right before it goes to 24mm, it actually retract the lens a little further before it goes back up to 24. There's where my lens was and when I tried to zoom out to 24, it was against the glass the gears slipped.

The lens always retracts a little before extending to zoom.

Announcements