cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depth of Field not working suddenly --- A590IS

boulder3381
Apprentice

I was hiking, and I had been able to take photos with people in foreground and a scenic, say mountain, view in background.  This stopped working suddenly after I messed with a setting(?).

I've tried to reset itmes but haven't had success.  Any ideas on how to get the full depth working?

Presently when I take a photo of someone in the foreground the back ground is all washed out with white.

thanks

Casey

6 REPLIES 6

Grazie
Rising Star

Are you sure you mean washed out? That sounds like an exposure issue and not a DoF issue? Please explain further. 

working

not working (next day)   there is a mountain peak over shoulder that didn't show.

IMG_4539.JPG

Thanks for posting those samples.

OK, as I thought from your description that’s not what I would call an issue of Depth of Field (DoF). That’s purely an issue of exposure. You’ve exposed for the foreground, to get the detail of the faces, meaning you’ve exposed for the Darks, which is a good thing, consequently this means the background, the mountain over the shoulder, is over exposured or “blown”. I’ve not heard of the phrase DoF being used in connection with Exposure. The reason your first sample is revealing the layers going back through the distance and the nice Sky, is because you’ve exposed for the Brights. This in turn gives you much of detail from the Foreground through the valley, up to the sky. This, again, I wouldn’t describe as an issue of DoF. I’ve always understood that DoF to be the manipulation of Focal Length in conjunction with, yes, the Aperture to either increase or decrease softer focus from the actual point of sharp focus. This is not the same as setting exposure for Brights or Darks.

I’ve just attempted to reduce the blown sky, but unfortunately it’s blown out. There aren’t any useful pixels to use to bring back the detail of the Sky. Others may have a go.

Now, in going forward, and in this example I try NOT shoot towards the light source, here that’s the Sun. Meaning NOT requiring to increase exposure to get the Face details and to open the Iris to expose the face detail. To do this I would either reframe, move the camera OR use a Graduted ND filter to hold back all those Brights. You’ve chosen a really difficult situation and beyond getting sharp focus this has to be uppermost in all camera operation.

If you like, I could demonstrate a simple Histogram revealing the amount of Blowout. Oh yes, I use the inbuilt Histogram that reveals the amount of blowout or “clipping” I’m getting before taking the photo.

I’ve just searched for a User Manual for your camera.... Right, that’s a neat camera. I don’t see an option to use Filters. OK, whilst my comments still stand, how you’d make use of them with that camera I’m needing to think what you could do. Now I’ve skimmed through your User Manual I assuming you’ve chosen one of the Program Settings. Which one did you use? If that camera has it, you need to experiment using manual exposure and maybe use a weak Flash to pick out the face details.

Your camera has Histogram option. Use it to determine any clipping. There’s also a Backlight correction option.

Neat camera!
Announcements