cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Continuous Shooting Problem with SX 50

bedadas
Contributor

Hi, I've had every Canon Sx camera except for sx30. The Canon SX50 seems to have the best picture quality (better than SX60) but the problem is the continuous shot mode freezes. What I mean by that is when it works it shoots 20-30 shots in a row without stopping. When it freezes it will take one picture then pause for about two seconds and I have to press the shutter again and it will repeat. I have bought three SX50's and they all did the same thing. I have to do a total reset then it may work correctly for the rest of the day. I have tried different different memory cards. I use the San disk extreme plus 80mb/s and the extreme pro 280 mb/s. It freezes on both cards.

Here are the settings I use:I use Custom

AF Frame Flexizone

Digital Zoom- Off

AF-Point Zoom- Off

Continuous AF- On

AF assist beam-Off

MF Point Zoom- Off

Safety MF- Off

High ISO NR- Standard

Spot AE Point- Center

Review- Quick

Is Mode- Continuous

Dynamic IS- 1

Display Area-Small

Function Set

DR Correction- Off

AWB- Auto

BKT- Off

Continuous

Spot

Jpeg 12M

I called Canon support and they did not know much. All they said was to do a reset all three times I called. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,Tony

6 REPLIES 6

John_
Authority

Maybe I missed it but what Shooting Mode are you in?  I believe the Modes available to save in C1 or C2 for Continuous shots are either P, Tv, Av or M. Or did you mean by you use Custom you meant M~~>Manual shooting mode?

I have 2 SX50's (excellent cameras) and have not experienced that problem with either one I use P mode mostly

Hi John, I shoot in Custom mode.  C1 and C2 are both custom.  I have used both. Is there anything I'm missing? None of the other sx cameras have had this problem.

Hi !

Well for Contiuous shots only certain shooting mdes are to be used so what I am saying is do you first select your shooting mode with the Mode Dial, P, Tv, Av or M...then press Menu button while in that shooting mode...then you choose the all the settings you wish and as you scroll down the setting selections the very last setting is Save Selections where you can save all of that including the shooting mode (P, Tv, Av or M) to either C1 or C2.?

The way to tell what Shooting Mode you are saved in is by looking directly under the C1 or C2 displayed on the LCD and it will show either P, Tv, Av or M.

Im just trying to narrow things down and half the battle is in the wording and question Im trying to get across lol !

Like pehaps you've saved your settings in Tv and your exposure time is not set right for Continuous and your shooting conditions and is locking up your camera intermittently...something along those lines is what I am thinking.

I start in P shooting mode then save it all to Custom 1.   It is not consistent.  Meaning I can weeks or months without it happening and sometimes it happens everytime I use the camera.  The only thing that corrects it is doing a complete reset.  A few times I've had to do a reset twice in one day.  It was so frustrating that I bought three SX 50s. All three did it.  I know one took about six months to do it for the first time, but my newest one did it on day 2.  I did reset it and it has not done if since which is about four days of shooting.

Yes that is very odd especially with all 3 of them.

And you have good SD cards too...to be honest I am out of ideas although the fact that it is all 3 of them, something maybe in common with all 3 might be a clue?

Cameras now a days are so complex, mechanical as well as mini computers too.

Are any of yours still under warranty? To send back to Canon but then again it's so intermittent if they get it and it is working I doubt they will spend days and days testing it unless they have some kind of automatic shooting setup.

I wish I had something more concrete to offer you

I talked to a tech rep at Canon who seemed to know more than other reps.  She said everytime I use a memory card I should format it again. Also said not to use a memory card with UHS which is ultra high speed.  She told me to replace the memory card about once a year.  Do you think her suggestions can help?   I don't remember what type of memory cards I was using before, but did get new ones thinking that could help and wanted a faster picture speed. Thanks

Announcements