Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Connecting my Poweshot SX40 HS to my Mac AIr

Hi, all! I am having a problem getting my new 2018 Mac Air to recognize my old Powershot SX40 HS. Is there any software/update I need to download to get it to work? Thanks for your help!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Connecting my Poweshot SX40 HS to my Mac AIr

How are you connecting it? Did you try Image Capture (in your apps folder) directly?

New Contributor

I connected it to my Mac Air adapter (there are no USB ports in the laptop). I just ordered a card adapter, so I can insert the card directly in. I hope it works! Thanks for your help. :-)

Product Expert

Hi Ilfod1982,

Thanks for posting.

With the camera connected to your computer via a USB cable, when you power the camera on in the playback mode, your camera should recognize it the camera as a "PowerShot SX40 HS".

If this doesn't occur, or you're still encountering difficulty, please contact our toll-free technical Support Department for assistance. They'll have the advantage of being able to guide you through the connection process, while following along with the camera on their side.

You may reach our Technical Support Department by calling 800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 9:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

kvbarkley: Thank you SO much! This is the BEST solution and the easiest.Heart

New Contributor

Thanks, Richard! I found the Image Capture solution to be the easiest. Maybe you can help me decide which newer Powershot camera  to get... I want it to have WiFi capabilities and a better zoom, along with Image stabiliozation.