cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

LadySeph
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to cameras, at least ones that now can do so much more such as connecting via WiFi to other devices.

Thing is, I've been having this issue for the past 2 days, and I've come to notice on this community board that many other people have this similar issue. I've been attempting to connect my Canon Powershot G7X to my 13 inch Macbook Pro (retina) via WiFi to download some pics/footage I took while out of town. However, while my camera has no issue connecting to the WiFi network in my home (via WPS), whatever I do I cannot get the camera to pair up with my Mac. It searches and searches but never picks anything up. I downloaded all the software provided on the Canon website for my specific camera, and the Bluetooth in the laptop is enabled. I also downloaded CameraWindow per the instructions via iTunes, but it seems like that is only for connecting mobile devices, not laptops. 

I'm not sure if there's something else I need to download or enable, or if I'm simply not doing something correctly. 😞 If I can't figure it out, would it be possible to connect the camera via a USB cable (which none was provided in the box) to get it to work that way?

Thanks!

64 REPLIES 64

zak
Contributor

More unsatisfactory answers from Canon, - transfer via Canon Internet server is NOT WiFi, its slow to upload/download large images and can be costly. its disgusting the way you have misled customers regarding Wifi functionality for recent (years) versions of MacOS.

Date: 07/08/2018
Service Request: 1-83360258295

Dear Mr Zak,

Thank you for contacting us regarding transferring images over Wi-Fi on the PowerShot G7 X Mark II. Unfortunately, due to changes in the recent macOS operating system, it is not possible to perform a direct Wi-Fi connection to CameraWindow DC on macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

This function is only supported on Windows and on Mac OS X Operating systems up to 10.10 as stated in the product specifications.

However, it is still possible to transfer your images over Wi-Fi using the Canon Image Gateway (Image Sync) service. Please download the Image Transfer Utility and follow the instructions on how to set up your camera using the links below:

Image Transfer Utility Download

https://cas.ciggws.net/download_itu/en?p1=L1Img

Sending Images to Web Services (CANON iMAGE GATEWAY/SNS/Email, etc.)

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_compact/powershot_g_serie...

We hope this resolves your query however if you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us again.

Yours sincerely,

STEPHEN.CANNON
Canon Services & Support

Telephone Support:
020 7660 0186

Opening hours:
Monday - Friday 08:00 - 20:00 Hrs

Exactly. My mifi device has 15Gb usage a month. I can blow through that extremely quickly using their technique. The only way around this is to take the SD card out and go back to non-wifi.

Clearly they aren't fixing this, we're just flogging a dead horse.

Dont give up, this is just wrong and Canon know it is, we are being fobbed off.  Publicise it.  

Dare I suggest you can log it as a fault here, but ask for escalation to product support and copy the response back here

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/contact_support/#href-Support

Tell them Image Gateway is not a solution as it uses Internet, is slow and costly (as you know). Thats not WiFi which is a local service.

Apple MacOS holds a massive share of the world marketplace, its perfectly reasonable for Canon customers buying a WiFi camera to expect to be able to upload directly via WiFi (only) to their MacOS device. 

I'd really ike to know why aren't Canon showing any interest in fixing this now years old problem. 

zak
Contributor

And Canon, 

From the usual boilerplate responses you give

" Unfortunately, due to changes in the recent macOS operating system, it is not possible to perform a direct Wi-Fi connection to CameraWindow DC on macOS 10.13 High Sierra. This function is only supported on Windows and on Mac OS X Operating systems up to 10.10 as stated in the product specifications"

Well thats just not acceptable. why have you not developed the product to support MacOS since 2015 when El Capitan was released, since then we've had Sierra, High Sierra and now Mojave.  Its you Canon that need to adapt to the MacOS changes.

Again I see it as perfectly reasonable that a Canon customer would expect WiFi to work with their recent MacOS.  

zak
Contributor

Stephen,

So I carefully followed the procedure you suggested. It doesn’t work. 

Using Image Transfer Utility I can sync via the Canon server over the internet (selecting the Computer icon with an arrow on my camera),  as expected it is sending data over the internet.

Using Image Transfer Utility if I select on my Camera the Computer icon without an arrow (ie direct transfer between gx7 and MacBook with High Sierra it does not work. I get the option to add another device, if I select that it just sits ‘searching’ until it times out. Again and again I tried no success. 

So what now please Canon ??

How do I get my WiFi camera to transfer directly to my MacBook without sending data over the internet please?

I would appreciate a reply asap please

Rgds

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Zak,

Thank you for your reply.

I recommend calling the techncial support team that serves the country in which you're staying.

If you're in the UK, please use the contact information provided by Stephen.

If you're in the United States, please call 800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Eastern time (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I recommend calling the techncial support team that serves the country in which you're staying.”

A typical Canon answer with the purpose of avoiding to address the problem issue!

Hi Richard and Canon

"I recommend calling the techncial support team that serves the country in which you're staying."

With respect, you are a product expert on the Canon Community. No doubt most expertise on this product is in the US ???

This thread is several years old.   Please can you or one of your colleagues provide some suggestions on this thread.  That will be good for me and the other users suffering here and also for Canon.

In short I have already tried the Canon Expert suggested CameraWindow option which I think we are now all agreed does not work for WiFi transfer between Gx7 Mkii and MacOS after 10.10.   Operating systems get updated, that is the nature of them, it is up to connecting device manufactures i.e Canon to develop in line with market leading operating systems. 

I have also tried Image Transfer Utilty which apparently does NOT work for direct transfer. The Camera is stuck on 'Searching' and never connects, I can see that I am not alone with these symptoms.

Richard and Canon -  Please suggest a solution.

I politely suggest this would not inlude - Cable, USB reader or potentially slow and expensive Internet transfer (via Image Transfer Utilty and Server) . - Its an expensive WiFi camera, I expect it to perform WiFi whick is a local service. 

Please update here for the good of all.

rgds

Zak

Has Canon still not resolved this issue yet?

I have a MacBook running High Sierra (Mac OS 10.13.1) and my Canon G7X mach ii can't connect over wifi and keeps giving me the "Device not found" message when trying to connect with the "Camera Window" app on my Mac.

I'll give this another week and if nothing is done by Canon, I may consider putting my camera on Craigslist and going with a used Sony RX100 IV.

Hey! I have the same problem, OS X 10.13.4. Canon, when you will fix this problem?
Announcements