cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

LadySeph
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to cameras, at least ones that now can do so much more such as connecting via WiFi to other devices.

Thing is, I've been having this issue for the past 2 days, and I've come to notice on this community board that many other people have this similar issue. I've been attempting to connect my Canon Powershot G7X to my 13 inch Macbook Pro (retina) via WiFi to download some pics/footage I took while out of town. However, while my camera has no issue connecting to the WiFi network in my home (via WPS), whatever I do I cannot get the camera to pair up with my Mac. It searches and searches but never picks anything up. I downloaded all the software provided on the Canon website for my specific camera, and the Bluetooth in the laptop is enabled. I also downloaded CameraWindow per the instructions via iTunes, but it seems like that is only for connecting mobile devices, not laptops. 

I'm not sure if there's something else I need to download or enable, or if I'm simply not doing something correctly. 😞 If I can't figure it out, would it be possible to connect the camera via a USB cable (which none was provided in the box) to get it to work that way?

Thanks!

64 REPLIES 64

UPDATE!!

Now Sierra and High Sierra are incompatible with your Canon Powershot. Wifi won't work, neither does the USB cable. The only way I can get images off now is by using an external SD card reader, or taking them off to my phone. It's pathetic, annoying and I'll never buy Canon ever again.

[EDIT] Oh and the links to ImageSync no longer work (as said above), so you're [...] out of luck completely now.

It looks like their software issues aren't just for PowerShot users either. They don't care about any of their customers, check out the EOS software:

Poor software

Hi Fearoffish,

Thanks for catching the broken link. I've updated the link in my original post and you may click here to see the Image Sync process.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

mihaela
Apprentice

Hello,

I wonder if anybody knows if it is possible to conect a tablet or my MacBook Pro (Sierra) to my G7X so I can use it as a monitor when shooting video. Tethering I believe is called. Not sure.

I really hope it works! Its a great lil camera so I am not keen to get a DSLR

I look forward to your answers!

Thank you very much!

Mihaela

Hi Mihaela,

Thank you for posting.

Your PowerShot G7 X can only display images on your television when the camera is in the playback mode.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Let me first say this is my first Canon, and my second day of using it. Not very impressed so far after reading this, as well as experiencing problems connecting to my MacBook as well.

im having the same problem as all of you, only I just recently bought a G9X and having issues as stated above. Connected to my iPad no problem, as well as my iPhone. I have no luck connecting to MacBook however.

first of all, I'm pretty sure that I've read somewhere in Canons website that connecting to CameraWindow on Mac requires 10.9 or later. If I didn't already waste my entire morning (2 1/2 hours to be exact) I would trace back and find the link the states this. 

Second of all, if it was clearly stated on the website that I read that my version of OS X wouldn't connect with my G9X, I wouldn't have wasted my entire morning, and I would be about 300% less aggravated then I currently am. PS I'm running El Captain 10.11.6. 

Third of all, I'm very happy to say that I recently purchased this, as I can easily return it. I agree with everyone above, that this is an absolute disgrace to the community of Canon users that this matter hasn't been resolved in over 6 months, when it was very clear that Canon was aware of the problem, yet refused to address it. That is a clear sign of terrible customer service....it's not like I'm trying to upload images onto my Atari....were trying to connect our camera on a system that's only a mere two years old.

this camera is great, takes great photos, all in a package that fits in your pocket. However, I cannot say the same for the lack of service.

end rant. Thanks for ruining my morning, Canon

Apr 4, 2017 loaded the latest version of Camera Window ... WiFi still not working w/ Mac OS Sierra. Canon still has a note on the download page for Camera Window ... " (Wi-Fi connection is not available with 10.11/10.12.) ". Come on Canon, it can't be that hard to fix.

It's July, 2017...Apple has a new Operating System coming out and Canon still haven't got the G7X working with Sierra. Great, time to move to Sony, I think.

fearoffish
Contributor
So what you’re saying is, the only way to make this work while I’m out taking photos is to upload them to a remote service and then download them!?

That’s abysmal, especially if I have to tether through my phone while I’m out and about.

JosP
Apprentice

I'm new here and found this thread because I have the same frustration as many of you.

It is odd, to put it gently, that Canon has not found a solution to connect a Mac with the camera through WiFi.

Mine is running HighSierra. Network is found, but when I select my Mac is tries to connect and then says: "disconnected",

Please, Canon foiks, fix this.

Announcements