cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

LadySeph
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to cameras, at least ones that now can do so much more such as connecting via WiFi to other devices.

Thing is, I've been having this issue for the past 2 days, and I've come to notice on this community board that many other people have this similar issue. I've been attempting to connect my Canon Powershot G7X to my 13 inch Macbook Pro (retina) via WiFi to download some pics/footage I took while out of town. However, while my camera has no issue connecting to the WiFi network in my home (via WPS), whatever I do I cannot get the camera to pair up with my Mac. It searches and searches but never picks anything up. I downloaded all the software provided on the Canon website for my specific camera, and the Bluetooth in the laptop is enabled. I also downloaded CameraWindow per the instructions via iTunes, but it seems like that is only for connecting mobile devices, not laptops. 

I'm not sure if there's something else I need to download or enable, or if I'm simply not doing something correctly. 😞 If I can't figure it out, would it be possible to connect the camera via a USB cable (which none was provided in the box) to get it to work that way?

Thanks!

64 REPLIES 64

Anna_S
Apprentice

hi there,

I am struggling to connect my canon G7X Mark II with my Mac via wifi ("no camera was found" error). I downloaded CameraWindow softwer for version 10.13. I am using High Sierra operating system 10.13.3.

I am not sure what my be causing the issue?

Could you please assist? thank you,

Anna

Mayyam
Apprentice

Hello all,

I got my camera with a huge hope  last summer but I have not been able to transfer any of my videos to my mac so I cannot edit anything. I am sO VERY disappointed and feel so bad to pay this much to Canon. I emailed to their customer services but no one even got back to me. It is so disappointing. So very!!!!

I too am encountering the SAME issue; and I wish I read all of this before buying this expensive camera. Looks like I will have to purchase their USB cable since the one I have doesn't work either. Not even sure if this camer is a plug-n-play; still all very disappointing that Canon has not updated their software to accommdate ours!

site1
Apprentice

Hi,

Signed just to post a reply in this thread.

Canon, did you solve that issue? Can I connect my Canon G7X mark ii to MacBook with macOS Catalina through Wi-Fi (without internet connection, without card readers, without usb cables) ???

Are you CANon or you CANTon ?!

Canon CameraWindow for macOS was last updated more than two years ago in the year 2017 (current version DC 8.10.11B for macOS 10.13)!

Today, at the end of 2019 we have macOS 10.15 and still no update for Canon CameraWindow and still no direct wifi-connection for Canon cameras to Mac-computers!!

Screenshot 2019-12-08 at 11.28.01.jpg

Hey Canon

Will this update (see below) fix the eons old problems described by many here in this thread and others that you have blatently ignored for years !!  Will your WiFi cameras now do realistically useable WiFi and will the Canon software actually work and in a useable manner with MacOS and ongoing updates of MacOS?

Please tell us more ??

Kind and extremly patient regards

Zak

We are pleased to inform you that in March 2020, Canon will substantially revamp its existing CANON iMAGE GATEWAY online photography service, strengthen its connectivity and compatibility with products and other services, and provide services to help customers manage and use their images.

The revamped service will have a new name and improved functions – we will share further details with you in February 2020. To make way for this service, we will close the current CANON iMAGE GATEWAY service in mid March 2020 and later that month all of your image files and albums will be available for access with the upgraded service, so that you can experience the new benefits it will provide.

We would like to thank you for your continued support - we’re excited to show you a new future and enhanced imaging experience with Canon.

●End of Service date for CANON iMAGE GATEWAY:
Scheduled date:
Mid March 2020

●Start of the upgraded service:
Scheduled date:
Late March 2020
Detailed information on the upgraded service and how to use it will be announced in February 2020.

●Cautionary points during the service transition period:
Please be aware that you will not have access to your account and its data during the service transition period from mid March to late March 2020.

During the service transition period, the web service image transmission function on our Wi-Fi enabled cameras will be disabled. After the launch of the upgraded service, once you accept the new Terms of Use and reset the transmission function, it will be available again. Detailed information on how to reset the web service image transmission function in the upgraded service will be announced in February 2020.

For some cameras, web service image transmission function will be disabled even after the start of the upgraded service. Please see notice posted on September 26th for details.
https://ps.ciggws.net/st/en/information.html

●About customers' image data in CANON iMAGE GATEWAY:
For customers using CANON iMAGE GATEWAY, all of your image files and albums will be accessible with the upgraded service. After conducting a simple procedure to accept the new Terms of Use, you will be able to start using the upgraded service and enjoy all of your image files and albums in our new platform. Please note that titles, comments and tags added to the images in CANON iMAGE GATEWAY will not be available for the upgraded service.

●If you do not wish to use the upgraded service:
If you do not wish to use the upgraded service, please follow the instructions to cancel your CANON iMAGE GATEWAY account until service close of CANON iMAGE GATEWAY (mid March 2020).
For details, please refer to ""Want to delete profile information and images""in the following Help.
https://ps.ciggws.net/st/en/contact.html#help030103

If you cancel your CANON iMAGE GATEWAY account, all of your data will be deleted. Web service image transmission function of Wi-Fi cameras will also be disabled. Please download all of your image files from CANON iMAGE GATEWAY before canceling your account.

CANON iMAGE GATEWAY access:
http://www.canon.com/cig

As before Canon is avoiding to answer questions about the broken WiFi connection between Mac computers and Canon cameras and the question why the relevant Canon software has not been updated for years.

CANON iMAGE GATEWAY has nothing to do with with connecting a Canon camera directly to a Mac computer over WiFi!

x_oanh
Apprentice

Hi guys

I have just bought the camera but don't know how to connect to my Mac computer

do you guys know a solution for this already? please help me, thanks

How can a topic lasted for more than 4 years without a solution???

x_oanh asked How can a topic lasted for more than 4 years without a solution???"

This is a question Canon has not bothered to answer for four years!!!

@rutlap wrote:

x_oanh asked How can a topic lasted for more than 4 years without a solution???"

This is a question Canon has not bothered to answer for four years!!!

This forum is not Canon Suppport.  Call 1-800-OK-CANON.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements