cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

LadySeph
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to cameras, at least ones that now can do so much more such as connecting via WiFi to other devices.

Thing is, I've been having this issue for the past 2 days, and I've come to notice on this community board that many other people have this similar issue. I've been attempting to connect my Canon Powershot G7X to my 13 inch Macbook Pro (retina) via WiFi to download some pics/footage I took while out of town. However, while my camera has no issue connecting to the WiFi network in my home (via WPS), whatever I do I cannot get the camera to pair up with my Mac. It searches and searches but never picks anything up. I downloaded all the software provided on the Canon website for my specific camera, and the Bluetooth in the laptop is enabled. I also downloaded CameraWindow per the instructions via iTunes, but it seems like that is only for connecting mobile devices, not laptops. 

I'm not sure if there's something else I need to download or enable, or if I'm simply not doing something correctly. 😞 If I can't figure it out, would it be possible to connect the camera via a USB cable (which none was provided in the box) to get it to work that way?

Thanks!

64 REPLIES 64

fulmar2
Apprentice

Hi Canon - 

The first message in this thread is from ‎06-28-2016 - nearly two years ago.  I just purchased a G7Xii, and after spending an entire day following the instructions on your website / youtube / etc., I finally came across this thread that pretty much says that sending to Mac via WiFi does not work.  Yes, it works for Yosemite and older, but Apple pretty much force-updates people.  This means that almost everyone using a Mac is using High Sierra.

This is a worthwhile feature to work on in the CameraWindow program.  Why?  Because:

1) You say it will work when a person purchases the camera.

2) The assumption is that if something isn't going to work, the problem will be with OLD OS's - not new ones.

3) You do provide the workaround of using a card reader - but many new Macs are going completely wireless.

4) Using a USB wire takes more time, and moreover, everytime you open that little fragile door, you risk breaking it.

For these reasons, I would like to put in just another request that your software developers add in this capability for Mac OSX.

Thanks!

Canon cameras are not able to connect over WiFi to any Mac dektop and laptop computers running on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, 10.12 Sierra and 10.11 El Capitan. i.e. CameraWindow (WirelessCameraService) has not been compatible with macOS since September 2015 for WiFi connections!

Right - I figured that out from this forum.  Unfortunately, when you download their software, they make no mention of it.  Therefore, if you're following instructions, you end up installing all this software, signing up for an account on their website, configuring the camera, etc. - with no knowledge that it isn't going to work.  You keep trying.  At least, a notifcation saying that this software doesn't do anything on a Mac from the last 3 years would be helpful - otherwise, people will keep trying in frustration.  

Having the same problem and just finding this thread, I would just like to add that if you don't update your own software so that users can connect to Macs via WiFi, please make sure that a USB cable is included in the camera pack. I now have to go out and buy a USB cable specifically for the purpose of connecting when I shouldn't have to. An additional expense that I was not warned about. I would not have bought your product if I'd known any of this.

I feel deceived and I'm NOT impressed.

Canon - Come on... please get this fixed.  One of the reasons I bought a GX7MarkII was for the wireless capabilities.  Everything in your marketing materials led me to believe this was compatible with macs. And yet, here we are.  I'm having to go and and track down the right cable, and you have an unhappy customer.  At the very least, please make it clear in your materials about the camera that the wireless does not work with current Mac operating systems so future buyers can beware.

Canon,  please come on this is beyond a joke.  You cant sell a camera clearly marketed as wireless that does'nt connect by wireless directly to a world leading computer with recent software.  Well it seems you can !!

By your lack of response here to the last few posts it suggests you have no intention of resolving the problem.

Please tell us what is going on with this problem

zak
Contributor

Just to add to this, I note there have been a whopping 33,637 views to this thread. There are many people posting on this thread with the same frustratiion yet the last update by a Canon expert was by Richard on 10-25-2017.  Roughly 10 months without any update.  I note that Richard has not logged onto the Community since April so has probably left or moved departments.

So I am stuck with either Canon's clunky, awkward and unreliable wifi software to uipload pics to a mobile device (where I cannnot use my Macbook Photoshop)

OR

connecting my wireless camera with a wire to the Macbook with more awkward and fragmented Canon software.  I dont even get the option to see the camera as an external disc drive where I could simply drag files across. Surely you can add that as functionality in a software update. 

Its just not fair treatment of your customers.  

Come on, talk to the frustrated customers .

zak
Contributor

Round and round in a loop.   This is a typical response from logging this fault with Canon -

Date: 06/08/2018
Service Request: 1-83360258295

Dear Mr. ZAK,

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon.

Regarding your query, i would recommend you to download the Canon Software CameraWindowDC and make the connection through the Software. Unfortunately Canon only refunds products under the 30 days policy.

If you wish to download the Software, check the link bellow:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_compact/powershot_g_serie...

Once again, thank you for contacting Canon. We trust this information is of use to you. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact again.

Yours sincerely,

C. Silva Reis
Canon Services & Support

Telephone Support:
020 7660 0186

-----

NO HELP AT ALL AS IT DOES NOT WORK .

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Zak,

Thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to read of the frustration this has caused.

The following assumes installation of "CameraWindow DC 8.10.11b for Mac OS X", at a minimum, from our website.

Before you begin, please ensure the date (including the year), time (24 hour clock), time zone and daylight savings settings are correct and match the settings of the network you're you're using for the connection.

To transfer images to a Mac using High Sierra, you must use the Image Sync method for the wireless transfer of images. For a step-by-step guide for this method, please click here. Once on our page, scroll down to "Image Sync Usage and Setting Procedures (Optional)".

Important: "File Sharing" must be enabled. To make sure this is the case, open the Apple Menu, choose "System Preferences" and then, "Sharing". Make sure there's a checkmark in front of "File Sharing".

To see your images after downloading them, choose "Go", then "Home". Next, choose your User Name, then "Pictures" and finally, click on "Transfer". Your images will be stored here.

If you continue to encounter difficulty, please contact our Technical  Support Team.  For contact options, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

re 

"To transfer images to a Mac using High Sierra, you must use the Image Sync method for the wireless transfer of images"

Unless I'm mistaken that process requires uploading images from Camera up to an Internet server and then back down to my MacBook? If so thats certainly using more than WiFi as the Camera was sold.  As a short term workaround that might be acceptable but we are not talking about a short term workaround here are we, the length of time this issue has been going on with Canons knowledge is clear to see from this thread.  

RAW images are large files indeed so loading them up  and back down the internet via a server is not an acceptable way forward. Its going to be incredibly slow and potentially prohibitively expensive depending on the internet connection when out in the field. 

Why arent Canon simply fixing the functionality that worked in earlier versions of MacOS ??

Announcements