cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my G7X to my Mac via WiFi

LadySeph
Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to cameras, at least ones that now can do so much more such as connecting via WiFi to other devices.

Thing is, I've been having this issue for the past 2 days, and I've come to notice on this community board that many other people have this similar issue. I've been attempting to connect my Canon Powershot G7X to my 13 inch Macbook Pro (retina) via WiFi to download some pics/footage I took while out of town. However, while my camera has no issue connecting to the WiFi network in my home (via WPS), whatever I do I cannot get the camera to pair up with my Mac. It searches and searches but never picks anything up. I downloaded all the software provided on the Canon website for my specific camera, and the Bluetooth in the laptop is enabled. I also downloaded CameraWindow per the instructions via iTunes, but it seems like that is only for connecting mobile devices, not laptops. 

I'm not sure if there's something else I need to download or enable, or if I'm simply not doing something correctly. 😞 If I can't figure it out, would it be possible to connect the camera via a USB cable (which none was provided in the box) to get it to work that way?

Thanks!

64 REPLIES 64

I to would like to say this solution is ridiculous and i can not believe there is no solution to connecting my camera to my mac via wifi. My win 10 pc does no problem, the mac though it just sits there saying connecting. Can you just tell me if it cant because of hardware or if its a software problem that can be fixed soon hopefully.

Hello Hunter-C, 

So the community may better assist you, would please let us know what OS version is your Mac?  I assure you that we're always looking for solutions when there's a connectivity issue involved and that we're doing everything to ensure your full enjoyment of the camera.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello my system specs are macbook pro early 2015 on sierra 10.12.3, I use a talktalk router with wpa2 but my camera connects to router fine so i dont see it as a problem. I have a pixama 7550 which works over wifi no problems just the camera. Please could you post a video of canon connecting to the macbook pro with the steps you use to get this to work.
Thankyou.

It unfortuantate that Canon seesm to think offering ImageSync as an alternative is a solution rather than fixing CameraWindow. I think this says something poor about the culture and its relationship with its buyers. 

Hiya I dont think they are ignoring it, it seems to me as if its obsolete hardware thats just not compatible with newer wifi protocols. Don't quote is on it though but lets be honest if software engineers at canon couldn't code a little bit of wifi software by now they are in the wrong job.

It's March 3, two months after your post and I still have this same problem. 

G7 x mark ii does not connect to CameraWindow 8. The camera detects the Macs on my wifi network and after I select any one of them it says it is connecting but then shows "connection failed". The Image Capture utility on the Mac does show the G7x while the camera is trying to connect.

The Apple webisite says Mac OS 10.2 Sierra supports this camera. If so, then the problem is on the Canon side. There is no problem connecting to an iPhone or an iPad using the CanonConnect app.

Can someone from Canon support please clarify whether MacOS Sierra is supported or when it will be supported.

Thanks

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Numa1,

Thank you for posting.

For the wireless transfer of images to computers using Mac El Capitan and Mac Sierra operating systems, you must use a camera that supports Image Sync and you must use the Image Sync transfer method. For step-by-step instructions, please click here.

EDIT:  Link Updated.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Just bought my G7X II 3 days ago. I connected with my iPhone fairly easily, but for the life of me couldn't figure out why I kept seeing "Searching" when I tried to connect my Macbook Air, running El Capitan 10.11.6. Seriously, I had do a Google search to find this forum and discover Canon doesn't support it? Not cool, Canon! The ONLY saving grace is that it's so quick and easy to pull the card from the camera and plug it into my Mac to upload photos. I'm much more likely to want to use the WiFi connection with my phone. BUT, how ironic that I've paid for an up-to-date camera that actually isn't!

Hi, I have had my G7x connected to my Samsung for a while now, worked great. Then, today I tried to connect a tablet to it. Got same problem, but then I found out somewhere on Internet that you need to Reset WiFi settings. I have done that and worked! Hope that will work for you as well! Seams Like you cant have 2 dif devices there, just one at a time so you may need to start the whole connecting procedure again for your Mac. Hope it works for u!

Any news on this issue? The provided links to the workaround "Image Sync" do not even work any more...

Announcements