cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer cannot detect the camera.

Katyboy
Contributor

I have had a Powershot A590, and could connect it to my HP, but now when I try to download images the computer says it cannot detect my camera.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your help, but the problem is fixed. First the F drive suddenly reappeared on my screen along with the other drives in "Computer" Then I tried to fix the F drive by looking at the F drive in "Portable Devices" in Device Manager, but it could not fix the problem.

Then I restored the system from about 3 weeks ago. Could still see the F drive in Computer, and now was able to fix it in Portable Devices in Drive Manager. Then the camera popped up next to the F drive in the prtable device listing & now I can download from the camera.

Thank you for trying, but it looks as though perserverance, dumb luck and ignorance saved the day.

Still do not know why the F drive disappeared in the first place.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jason
Whiz

Hi!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer.

Thanks and have a great day!

HP 2000 Notebook.

Processor AMD EI-1200 with Radeon HD Graphics 1.4 GHz

64 bit operating system

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Katyboy,

Is your notebook connected to AC power?  If not, please do connect it.  This will ensure it is adequately powered so it can properly work with the camera.

Do you have any other devices connected to your notebook?  We only recommend, at least as a test this time, connecting the camera to the notebook.  Other devices, such as printers, scanners and external drives may interfere with proper communication.

Does your notebook make a sound when the camera is connected and powered on in playback?  It should make a sound, indicating that it at least detects the camera.  If it does not, try connecting it to another USB port.

What program are you using to attempt to download the images from the camera?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you. My computer is plugged into the mains. When I have the camera switched on I get the expected 2 tone noise when I plug it in and disconnect. If I plug it in first (before the camera is switched on) Ido not get the 2 tone noise until I turn the camera on.

I am downloading the program with the disk supplied by Cannon: Solution Disk 33.0 ZoomBrowser Ex 6.1. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this program, but it makes no difference. Was able to download with no problem last time I tries, a couple of months ago.

I should also say that when I left click the computer "Start" button and go to Computer I can see trhe Cdrive, th D (backup drive) and the E drive (DVD R/W drive), but not the Fdrive.

Hope you can help.

Katyboy

Hi Katyboy,

In your reply, regarding the operating system for your computer, you mentioned that you have a 64 bit operating system, but not the operating system itself.

Are you using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Windows 7 - Thanks

Thank you for your help, but the problem is fixed. First the F drive suddenly reappeared on my screen along with the other drives in "Computer" Then I tried to fix the F drive by looking at the F drive in "Portable Devices" in Device Manager, but it could not fix the problem.

Then I restored the system from about 3 weeks ago. Could still see the F drive in Computer, and now was able to fix it in Portable Devices in Drive Manager. Then the camera popped up next to the F drive in the prtable device listing & now I can download from the camera.

Thank you for trying, but it looks as though perserverance, dumb luck and ignorance saved the day.

Still do not know why the F drive disappeared in the first place.

Announcements