cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composing SX60 shots using FlexiZone

tonikaus
Contributor
On page 82 of the SX60 manual, under FlexiZone/Center, Canon says, "To compose shots so that subjects are positioned at the edge or in a corner, first aim the camera to capture the subject in an AF frame, and then hold the shutter button halfway down. As you continue to hold the shutter button halfway, recompose the shot as desired, and then press the shutter button all the way down (Focus Lock)." I used an SX40 for over two years, and this tip describes exactly how I composed 80% of my shots. Unfortunately this does not work as advertised on the SX60. In FlexiZone, when the shutter button is held down halfway, and I attempt to recompose the shot, the AF frame stays in the center, NOT on my subject. Although it is possible to focus on an object in the corner or on the edge by moving the frame with the AF frame selector button, this is too cumbersome for general use. Have any SX60 users found a fix?
9 REPLIES 9

John_
Authority

Yes using Flexizone.you have to postion the focus frame where you want it and you can also resize it.

For Focus Lock I think you left out a step, pressing the little arrow...

focus lock.PNG

Thanks John.  Interesting use of MF, but way too many adjustments to make a shot in anything approaching real time.  With the SX40 in FlexiZone, all I have to do is pick my focus, hold the shutter button halfway down, then move the camera to compose the shot.  The AF frame stays on my original focus.  Per the manual, this should work just the same with the SX60.  If it doesn't work as advertised, I won't be a happy camper.

Flexizone works that way with my SX50 also, hold the shutter button halfway down and recompose the image but only in P, Tv, Av or M shooting modes everything else will be center focus

Exactly!  But not so with the SX60.  Perhaps a software error that will be fixed with some future firmware release?  

Could be but why wait give them a call just in case it is a fault in your new camera .

I already have an email support request in.   Any SX60 users out there who can report on how this does or doesn't work on their camera?

This is embarassing, and maybe I'm misremembering how FlexiZone recomposition works.  In FlexiZone, when I focus on my subject, the AF frame turns green.  As I move the camera to recompose the scene, does the greeen AF frame  stay on the subject, or does it stay in the center?  In my memory, it should stay on the subject.  If I'm misremembering, and the AF frame always stays in the center, then FlexiZone recomposition may be working as it should.

In FlexiZone you have to move the focus bracket to where you want it, it will not move by itself.

Compose your picture

Move the focus bracket over the area of interest

Hold the shutter button halfway down, the bracket should turn green when it is focus locked

Then shoot.

My issues were resolved when I restored the default camera settings.  Not the first time I had tried this solution, but this time it fixed my focus problems.

Announcements