cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Completely Black Screen / No Menus

Kristin_Texas
Contributor

Hello!  I was just now putting one video from my camera - (Canon PowerShop SX50 HS) - on to the computer, but at first I was accidentally using the smaller end of the plug you use to connect the camera to the computer.  (That'll teach me to do that without the light on).  The video is fine, but ever since then the screen on my camera is 100% black.  The green power light turns on, but no text/menus will show up at all.  The lens itself won't even telescope out when I push the zoom button. (It has nothing to do with the battery either, as I've tried two of them).

This camera hasn't been acting up until just now, so I know it's from initially hooking up the wrong plug of the cord to the camera.  (Which seems crazy to me because that's something so simple.  It's not like I dropped the camera or anything... and I HAVE dropped the camera before, but that was years ago and even then it - miraculously - never acted up even once).

Thank you for any help.  I'm at a loss on what to do, as the only info I can find on it are when the camera will still allow you to scroll through the menus.  (Which I can't do as the screen is just black and no text/menu will show up at all).

FYI: Even though the screen is black, I took a pic just to see if it would work.  I just blindly clicked a photo of the keyboard, connected the camera to the computer.... and lo and behold a pic does show up.  The problem is I literally can't see a thing on the camera itself.

Kristin

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Kristin_Texas,

Thanks for posting.

If you haven't already done so, please press your camera's DISP button once or twice and let us know what happens.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

John_
Authority

If pressing the dis[lay button does not work then when the camera is off try pressing the "play" button on the rear to turn it on and not the power button. If you see your last picture on the LCD then try pressing the menu button to get to the settings and do a reset to defaults.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements