cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking sound when recording Video

RoLoMa
Contributor

When I record video, a clicking/whirring noise made by the camera is recorded on the video. I'm thinking it's the autofocus, or zoom (although it seems to make the noise even if I am not using the zoom.)

Any ideas on what is causing this or how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Stephen

Hi RoLoMa!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which Canon equipment you're using, and if you're seeing  any error messages. 

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks and have a great day!

I guess I needed to post that I have an SX50 (I thought for some reason this was an SX50 forum)..and there are no error messages, everything seems to be working fine. It seems the "mechanics" of the camera are being recorded on any video I take.

I was hoping to post a video, but I don't seem to be able to do that.

Thanks!

@RoLoMa wrote:

I guess I needed to post that I have an SX50 (I thought for some reason this was an SX50 forum)..and there are no error messages, everything seems to be working fine. It seems the "mechanics" of the camera are being recorded on any video I take.

I was hoping to post a video, but I don't seem to be able to do that.

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly, you maybe picking up auto focus/IS noise from your internal mic every time you record a video.  I had a Canon SX50 before I got my Canon SX60 and I was annoyed by that clicking sound in my video's, if that's what it is.  The SX50 does'nt have an external mic jack to solve this issue.  That's why I sold mine and got my Canon SX60.  It has an external mic jack that I use to connect an external mic to (among other upgrades)  You can attach an external mic onto the hotshoe plate on the SX60.   There maybe a workaround for an external mic for your SX50, but you'll have to ask around here on site, or goggle it.

BTW...this is a Canon Site for all Canon Cameras and gear.  But does'nt have a catogory just for the SX50.  But you're in the right place, powershot posts.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the noise that is recorded seems to be the autofocus or something that is happening inside the camera. At first I thought it was only occurring when I zoomed, but realize that's not the case.

It's frustrating because I have seen video recorded by other SX50s that don't seem to have this noise -- and on my camera it is LOUD on the video, even though I'm not really hearing it during the actual recording.

Maybe I'll take it to the local Canon dealer and see what they say. I wasn't really interested in upgrading to the SX60. There are a few features I was hoping for that it doesn't have...waiting for the SX70!  🙂

I would call Canon support and see what they say.  Maybe you've set some setting in the menu that causes your SX50 to do that.  Or, since you say other SX50 owners say they don't have that problem, it may be a faulty camera.  look in your manual and see if you see anything in the video section that may address the issue.  you can download the manual at the canon support site.   Come back and let us know the outcome if any.  May help another member with the same issue.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/other_powershot/powershot_sx50_hs#Dri...

I've tried researching this problem on the internet...found a few people posting the same problem, but there were no answers posted. I have the manual, tried a few things that I thought might be causing the problem, nothing made any difference, so I gave up on that.

I bought the camera from the local Canon store, which is only a few minutes from my house. They've been very helpful in the past, so I think I'll give them a try. (Hopefully tomorrow.)

I'll post what happens.

By the way, my daughter has an SX50 and I just shot some video on her camera this morning, and tried to ensure that the settings were the same, and the noise(s) weren't recorded. So I am thinking I have had a faulty camera all along!

Thanks again for your input!

thanks for reporting back.  let us know what canon service says.

I went to the local Canon dealer. They agreed that the noise during recording video is much louder than it should be. Suggested that I consider buying a refurbished SX50 or an SX60. Then they tried one more thing...turning Servo AF off. That seemed to work, as the noise did seem to get quieter when we did a few quick videos in the store. I got it home, tried it..and the noise was back. I need to play with it a little bit more. I'll probably take it back on Monday and see if they can do it again. Perhaps it was a combination of settings, and I somehow changed something...I don't know what else to think!

Your camera must have been out of warranty, which I did'nt know.....I assumed it was.  I thought it was a recent purchase.   If you have had your camera for over a year, why did you not take it back before your warranty ran out???    Did this problem just start happening???  

Announcements