cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking Noise during recording - SX400 IS - New camera

L-Kabong
Apprentice

Like the title says I have a New Canon PowerShot SX 400 IS and it's making a clicking sound during recordings.  I can upload a video to YouTube if need be. 

The camera is brand new and I just got it March 21, 2016 from Amazon in a bundle package that came with some extra things I wanted like an extra battery and tripod stand.

Anyways I didn't notice this until now because I've been more interested in taking pictures than taking video's.

So when I record there is a very annoying clicking sound when I play back the recording on my PC. There's no way to tell what it happening while recording because all you see is the what is displayed on the viewer on the back.

Like I said I can upload one of the video's to someplace like youtube but not sure it's allowed or if I'm limited in doing so because this is my first post. 

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you are typing a reply into the textbox, one of the icons along the top edge allows you to upload video, but with some restrictions on file size.

As for the noise, it is possible that the noises are coming from the lens AF system.  Shoot a test video with the AF system turned off.  Is the camera being handheld?  Your noises could be handling noises, or buttons being pressed.

Canon advises that owners should only use genuine Canon batteries.  Canon has published a number of consumer warnings and advisories against using third party batteries, as well as the existence of counterfeit Canon batteries being on the market.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Turn off IS, too.

Thanks for the help folks. 

Sorry for a late reply got busy with other life issues. 

Now as for the batteries I wondered about them and so I took these pics.

The Black battery I think is Okay but the white one looks to be an after market battery. 

Canon Battery - White - Front 01.jpg

Canon Battery - Black - front 01.jpg

BTW I do not know much about camera's these days the last camera I had before this camera was a Canon Olympus D-340R that had a whopping 1.3 Megapixel capability. So that should tell you a lot of my experience with camera's . 

The reason I got this one was that it was on sale with extra's and looked to be simple enough for even me to use.

L-Kabong
Apprentice

I changed the settings on the camera

AF- Point Zoom  to OFF

AF- assist Beam to OFF

IS Settings -> IS Mode to OFF

It is still making the clicking sound.

I am using the Black Battery shown above.

https://youtu.be/HUP3jcbkIHc

Test Video 02

https://youtu.be/nOE3iZ4LIfI

Now I know it is making a clicking sound, even though the video I uploaded to YouTube doesn't seem to have it.  I did not edit it (because I don't know how) and I get the feeling that youTube did some automatic correction to it....very strange. 

L-Kabong
Apprentice

Okay now I feel dumb, because I think I know why I hear the clicking sound, sort of.

I ONLY hear the clicking sound when playing the MOV files made from the camera using Media Player Classic.

I have updated the player along with some codecs and now there is no longer the clicking noise. 

Again thanks for the help....I didn't know about those settings and would have never have looked. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements