cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the filename prefix or setting the starting number

apic13
Apprentice

I have two PowerShots. I have been using one for years. My newer one sets the filenames with the same prefix, IMG, and starts numbering at 0001. Can I change this so I don't get duplicate filenames in my photo library. I realize that having the new photos in different folders will help to prevent overwriting the existing ones. I would like to prevent the confusion or possible overwriting by mistake.

Thanks for any advice.

2 REPLIES 2

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Apic13,

To keep your camera from resetting the file numbers, press the MENU button and go to the settings tab, It's yellow and normally has a wrench and hammer on it.  Now scroll down to "File Numbering", then use the right or left arrow to choose "Continuous", then press the MENU button again.

This may vary slightly from model to model.

I hope this helps,

Richard

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

On my VIXIA HF-G21 the Continuous mode means the file numbers start at zero each time you insert a card. So it's very easy to have duplicate filenames if you shoot on several cards.

This camera offers two options in the File Numbering screen: Reset and Continuous.

I imagine Reset would start numbering again at 0000, and Continuous would number all files on a card.

Putting a new card in resets to 0000, so duplicate filenames.

This is a bit of a guess since you can't read filenames on the camera itself in play back. But that's the experience I had with the camera set in Continuous: a reset to 0000 with a new card.

Best,

Robert

Announcements