cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing resolution on SX260HS

DonS
Apprentice

I just purchased the SX260HS and am not sure how to check and change resolution on the camera to shoot in highest resolution possible for taking still photographs.  I tried to muddle thru the user manual to find the answer but to no avail.  Except for a single page of info (page 79 of manual) there was not much else.  I have a Sandisk 8GB class 10 memory card in the camera and it says I can fit just under 2,500 images on a blank card.  When I tried to change to another level resolution (assuming I'm doing it correctly) the number of possible images increase -- suggesting the resolution is lower.  However, according to the Sandisk web site, I should only get about 900 photos on an 8 GB card based on a 10 MP camera in a JPEG format (not raw) --- that's a big difference.  

This is my first digital camera and I'm kind of brain damaged when it comes to the digital age.  If any one can tell me step by step how to maximize the resolution for the camera, it would be appreciated.   

4 REPLIES 4

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi DonS,

You should be able to fit approximately 1497 Large, Super Fine images on an 8 GB memory card.  The figure for Large, Fine images is about 2505.

When you set the image size (recording pixels), you may change the compression from "Fine" to "Super Fine".  The compression setting is just below the image size setting in the FUNC menu.

I hope this is helpful.

Richard

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

But, that option for Super Fine does not seem to be available in AUTO mode.

@AuntFrahn wrote:

But, that option for Super Fine does not seem to be available in AUTO mode.

The whole point of AUTO mode is to make all of the basic settings automatic, and to minimize the number of adjustments the user can, or needs, to make to use the camera.  The intent is simple: power on, point and shoot.

Does the camera have "P" mode?  Use that mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Maybe I'm missing something here. 

I do understand about AUTO mode.

However, my Nikon does have AUTO mode and I can select Fine or whatever. I chose the highest and expect larger images. That is what happens. Buying more cards is OK if I get the best possible quality.

Just don't understand why it is different with the Canon. 

Yes, you must know it does have 'P'.

My very first Olympus did not have AUTO and I used 'P' all of the time. Great shots. But, that was years ago with a much simpler camera. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

PS

This is from the Nikon manual: 

Lower compression ratios result in higher quality pictures, but also larger file sizes, limiting the number of pictures that can be recorded.

FINE: Finer image quality than Normal, suitable for enlargement or high-quality prints.
Compression ratio of about 1:4

NORM: Normal image quality, suitable for most applications. Compression ratio of about 1:8

BASIC: Basic image quality is lower than with Normal, suitable for pictures attached to e-mails or used on web pages. Compression ratio of about 1:16

From the Canon manual:

pssx60HS Superfine.jpg

Announcements