cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon sx60hs Astrological Photography

Simeonchou
Apprentice
So i got myself a Canon sx60hs.I wonder if there are any good setting for night star photography as i am a begginer myself and i am not quite sure what settings to go with.I also wonder if there is a chance to capture some pictures of the milky way with my camera.
3 REPLIES 3

John_
Authority

I got some really awesome shots of the moon with my SX50HS and you'll be able to get even a little closer.

2 things I think are a must...a tripod and a remote shutter release switch. Those 2 will eliminate and movement before the shot during your setup and then during the exposure so you wont risk any movement pressing the exposure button on the camera.

I used program mode, flexizone focus and moved the focus frame around till I got a goor area in the frame so the focus would lock on good. I also had a lens hood on and was in a dark area with no lights.

I'm sure there are other settings you can try and other will chime in too.

Simeonchou
Apprentice
Thanks alot for your reply,I also seem to have some really cool pictures of the moon,but i was wondering if i could capture the stars in the milky way,not the moon.

Well I think you have a total zoom of 240X inculding the digital zoom. So perhaps you can capture a little beyond what we can see with the naked eye...certainly the constellations. 

I have a telescope, Bushnell Northstar with a video output, and I searched for some kind of adapter for the SX50 but found nothing I have not given up yet though. If my camera had a video input I'd be all set but it doesn't.

Announcements