Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon a worst product and service

Jegan
Contributor

Product Serial Number: [Serial number removed per forum guidelines]

Date of Purchase: 11/27/2015

I bought cannon SX520 HS camera [NEW].

When inserting memory card, it shows memory card error.

But same memory card working good in other cameras.

Memory card: 32GB, SanDisc, Class 10.

This camera was bought in US, now I am in India.

I took cannon to service center in India, they said USA warranty cannot be applied here.

Now they say PCB UNIT have to be replaced.

PCB UNIT defect and to be replace

Part Charges                           Rs.2518/-
Service Charge                        Rs.750/-

Service Tax                             Rs.105/-
Total Charges                          Rs.3373/-

I bought this for 99$ + tax.

I have not even took a single photo, it needs a service for 60$ (3373Rs + some other charge).

I can’t afford so much for a repair, it is better to buy a new once than to use this repaired one (not canon again)

I contact both US and India support, both refused to help me.

They cant waive off the service charge.

They cant extend my warranty.

They cant even give discount for the repair.

Total waste of my money.

How could cannon sell such a useless product? Don’t they test it before selling?

Just insert card and it shows Memory card error.

I post this question just to show how bad Canon product could be, don’t trust them.

17 REPLIES 17

@Grazie wrote:

So, from what I can tell, the issue is that the cover for a refurbished camera from Canon US doesn't extend to where you are now, and that is India. Correct? Do you have the written warranties and exactly where Canon explains the extent of the warranties with you?

Yes, I have a warranty letter, it is mentioned that it is applicable only in US, and not anywhere else.

I trusted the brand, and thought such a service will never be needed. But regretting for the same.

Sounds like you haven't contact Canon USA. Email them with a calm, polite message explaining your situation and ask them if they can work out a satisfactory resolution. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Jegan - I hear you Pal!

Please take John's advice. Also, this Forum is read by Canon too.

G

@Grazie wrote:

Jegan - I hear you Pal!

Please take John's advice. Also, this Forum is read by Canon too.

G

I tried it, no use.

I posted here only after losing all my hope.

I wish canon company to go down, by losing its name and credit.

I will post the same message in all public forum and website to let people know about canon.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Sounds like you haven't contact Canon USA. Email them with a calm, polite message explaining your situation and ask them if they can work out a satisfactory resolution. 

Conversation with cannon India support:

After some back and forth mail I had a call from India (support), They said that my concern is reviewed from their management, and said nothing can be done except for 60$ service. I asked them to return my camera, they said they will return it only if I pay 4$ (250 INR) as cost to check my device. I requested them at the least to waive off it. Sill no reply or authentication.

Conversation with canon US support:

Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 11:04 PM
To: Jegan R
Subject: RE: [ET-1520128570731732683]

Dear Jegan,

Thank you for your reply.  The web site that you have reached is a Canon USA product site.  Unfortunately, we do not have the resources or references to provide information regarding service facilities in your area.  For information about non-Canon USA support, please visit http://www.canon.com and look for the support site closest to you geographically. 

Alternately, you can send the camera to a US contact who would be able to send it to the US Factory Service Center for you.  All refunds are provided by the dealer the camera is purchased from.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Nancy
Technical Support Representative

Email is not a secure form of communication. Please do not send us your credit card number or other personal or financial account information via email.

----- Original Message -----
Date: 2/2/2016 10:56:27 AM
To: Camera Support <ps@cits.canon.com>

Hi,

Email is only source of communication for me now.

I know your rules please Dont hide behind it. I am speaking about customer satisfaction.

I am loosing my hard earned money. Please give me a solution.

If you think this is an exceptional issue in canon product. Why Dont you treat my service also as exceptional case?

You could help me by escalating to some one.
You could extend my warranty.
Or somehow make my service free in India.
You could replace it.
Credit my money back.

There several thing to console your customer than simply say that everything is fine according to your rule book.

Regards,
Jegan

Camera Support <ps@cits.canon.com@> wrote:

Dear Jegan,

Thank you for contacting Canon USA product support.

Here at Canon Product Support, we can only refer products in need of repairs to the Factory Service Centers.  We do not have the opportunity or authority to offer a refund, that is the sole purview of your camera dealer.  There is no provision for refunds in our warranty.  (The Canon product warranty terms are clearly stated on the warranty card provided with all products.  Please check the warranty card for specific terms, conditions, and restrictions for your product.)

Canon strives to maintain the highest levels of customer satisfaction.  Fortunately, cases such as yours are the exception rather than the rule.  Please accept our sincere apologies on this matter.

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.  Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Chris

Email is not a secure form of communication.  Please do not send us your credit card number or other personal or financial account information via email.

Date: 2/2/2016 7:41:06 AM

Hi James,

Did you read my mail properly.

Issue is not with my memory card.

Service person from canon already tested and said that there is a defect in PCB unit. Why do you give me such unwanted information?

As already said, I have no contact in US, I may visit US Dec 2016(Not sure).

But warranty will be expired by that time.

How can you deliver a device without testing? I trusted your brand, I thought a warranty will not be needed.

I want my money back.

Regards,

Jegan

Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:43 PM

Dear Jegan Ravichandran,

Thank you for your continued correspondence. I understand you continue to have and issue with the memory card used in your PowerShot SX520 HS, and I can further assist you.

When memory card errors appear, a corrupted memory card might be the cause.

It is highly recommended that you format the memory card in your camera.  Formatting the memory card makes sure that it is going to work properly in your camera.  This would be the best way to delete all of your images at one time.

When you format a memory card in your camera, it sets the card up with the folders that the camera needs in order to function properly.

To FORMAT your memory card in the camera:

Caution!!  Please note that formatting (initializing) a memory card erases all data, including protected images and other file types.

Please follow these steps to format a memory card:

1. In the REC. menu, select SETUP and press the SET button.
  2. Press the right or left arrow button to select FORMAT, and then press the SET button.
  3. Press the right or left arrow button to select OK, and press the SET button.  To cancel formatting instead, select CANCEL instead of OK.

Note:  If you put the memory card in without formatting, it will usually work.  However, formatting a memory card doesn't take long, so I recommend doing it the first time you plan to take a picture.  If the camera cannot read the memory card properly, you will receive memory card error, images can become corrupt, and all of the pictures can be lost.

A corrupted memory card has damaged data that prevents it from performing properly.  If a card becomes unreadable, you may not be able to access photos on it.

Memory card corruption often results from human error.  Awareness of the main causes can help prevent card corruption from occuring.  The following information are ways a memory card may be corrupted:

1. Turning the camera off before an image is completely written to the card.
  2. Removing the memory card from the camera while an image is written to
        the card.
  3. Removing the card from a memory card reader while files are still being
        transferred to a computer.
  4. Battery is conks out as files are being transferred directly from the camera to
        a computer. Note: always make sure you have a fully charged battery
        before transferring images.
  5. Removing thecard from a card reader while folders and files from the card are
        open on a computer.
  6. Opening, deleting, renaming or moving files on the card while its contents are
        open on a computer.
  7. Using a memory card which has not been formatted in the camera.  Use the
        delete/erase function when needed, however a card should be regularly
        formatted.
  8. Formatting a card in a computer instead of the camera.  Formatting a memory
        card in a computer can slow down data processing when it's used in the camera.
        With some memory cards, formatting via a computer may result in compatibility
        and operational problems.
  9. Inserting a second memory card into a card reader before closing and
        removing the first when viewing images on the card from a computer.
  10. Taking photos when camera batteries are nearly empty.
  11. Taking photos to repidly so the camera can not complete writing one image
          before starting the next.
  12. Continually shooting and deleting, shooting and deleting images when the card
        is full.
  13. Letting a memory card get to full (999 image) before downloading the images to
        your computer or storage device.  Cards that are too full may overwrite the card
        headers.
  14. Using a memory card from one camera in a different camera without
        formatting it in the new camera first.

Our U.S. repair facilities cannot accept packages from or return equipment to addresses outside the United States with the exception of military APO, you will need to ship your camera to a friend, family member, or other trusted contact in this country.  That person can, in turn, send the camera to our Factory Service Center for repair.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you.  Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

James

Email is not a secure form of communication. Please do not send us your credit card number or other personal or financial account information via email.

Date: 2/2/2016 1:36:49 AM

Hi Pedro,

I took cannon to service center in India, they said US warranty cannot be applied here.

Now they say PCB UNIT have to be replace (refer attached mail)

PCB UNIT defect and to be replace

Part Charges                           Rs.2518/-
Service Charge                        Rs.750/-

Service Tax                             Rs.105/-
Total Charges                          Rs.3373/-

I bought this for 99$ + tax.

I have not event took a single photo, it needs a service for 60$ (3373Rs).

I can’t afford so much for a repair, it is better to buy a new once than to use this repaired one.

I can’t digest this. I don’t want your service, I want my money back.

Regards,

Jegan

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: Re: [ET-1520128570731732683]

CC:

Hi Pedro,

I already contacted support team here in India, they said I have to get it repaired on my own cost.

I went through some of the reviews in India, it seems the service is good but too expensive. Some people say it took several days (1-2 month) when product have to be shipped to Singapore for service. I have no other option. I have to bear it, though it is not my fault.

However, once I get things solved I will share me review with you and public. So that they can avoid buying product in one country and use it in another country.

With frustration,

Jegan

Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2016 1:04 AM

Dear Jegan Ravichandran,

Thank you for your continued correspondence. I understand your concerns with the repair options for your PowerShot SX520 HS, and I can further assist you.

You can try to obtain service for your camera with Canon India. Canon India has available support via the following link.

http://www.canon.co.in/personal/web/contact

They can best guide you to any local repair facilities available. However, warranty would not transfer over, as the 1 year limited warranty is country specific. If you are concerned about the warranty in India, it is something I highly recommend speaking with the Canon India support team.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot SX520 HS.

Sincerely,

Pedro

Date: 1/29/2016 11:13:41 AM

Hi Dee,

I bought this camera when I will as there during my official trip. I already tried with few more memory card, but same issue.

I can't be there is until Dec 2016. Also I do not have any contact in US.

Never thought that such thing will happen in such a standard company. Feeling sorry for choosing it.

Regards,
Jegan

Camera Support <ps@cits.canon.com@> wrote:

Dear Jegan Ravichandran,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I am happy to assist you with the memory card problem that you are experiencing with your PowerShot SX520 HS.

Due to the many different types of memory cards on the market today, we cannot guarantee compatibility with them all.  I suggest trying a different memory card.  If the problem persists no matter what memory card that you try, your camera will need service.

Since you purchased the camera in the US, the warranty is only good in the US.  Do you have a contact here in the US that can help you?

If you do, please send the camera along with a copy of the purchase receipt to your contact.  Once your contact has your camera, contact me again so I can send them a shipping label.

Here is the information that I will need:

Name:

Street Address:

Phone Number:

Serial Number:

Email address:

We look forward to your reply concerning your PowerShot ELPH 520 HS.

Sincerely,

Dee

> ----- Original Message -----
> From:
> Date: 1/29/2016 6:50:37 AM
> To: ps@cits.canon.com
> Subject:
>
> Email Support Form Message
>
> Product Name: PowerShot SX520 HS
> First Name: Mr. Jegan
> Last Name: Ravichandran
> Address 1:   [Mod Note: Removed per forum guidelines]
> Address 2:
> City: Morrisville
> State/Province: NC
> Zip/Postal Code: 
> Country: USA
> Phone: Mobile Telephone Ext:  [Mod Note: Removed per forum guidelines]
> Email Address:  [Mod Note: Removed per forum guidelines]
> Email Verification:
> Product Serial Number: [Mod Note: Removed per forum guidelines] Date of Purchase: 11/27/2015
> Problem Type: Error indication
> Please provide the exact problem description
> (Please do not enter any credit card details or other financial information):
> I bought cannon SX520 HS camera.
> When inserting memory card, it shows memory card error.
> But same memory card working good in other cameras.
> Memory card: 32GB, SanDisc, Class 10.
>
> This camera was bought in US
> Now i am in India, not sure how to get service from here. 😞
> My phone:   [Mod Note: Removed per forum guidelines]
>

Don't be so sad, you are not alone. I am in USA, but it doesn't help me. 1.5 months of ping-ponging to start repair (they asked $90 for camera under warranty) and instead of my new repaired, refurbished SX60 HS arrived with the same defect. Seems Canon Customer service hires deaf and dumb.
P.S. Waranty on refurbished camera is 6 months

@Blokhi wrote:
Don't be so sad, you are not alone. I am in USA, but it doesn't help me. 1.5 months of ping-ponging to start repair (they asked $90 for camera under warranty) and instead of my new repaired, refurbished SX60 HS arrived with the same defect. Seems Canon Customer service hires deaf and dumb.
P.S. Waranty on refurbished camera is 6 months

Terrible Smiley Sad

So the point is, people should avoid buying a refurbished canon camera.

There seems to be a major problem in service side.

If product is good, no problem. If it is bad, it should be throws away, no use.

Mine was not refurbished , now Canon replaced for refurbished. have 6 months for warranty. May send six times to repair. 

Announcements