cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX610 Freezing....

lucywho
Contributor

Hi, Firstly apologies if I have posted in the wrong area?  [We moved it to the right one!]

i have a Canon SX610 which I seldom use.  Taken out of the cupboard and charged the battery, only works for a second and then freezes??  It is a Canon battery and a full size micro chip.  Has never been used on a beach or near water,  never dropped it and it has been stored in a case at room temperature.  Any idea what the problem could, I don't really want to go down the same road I did with a canon Eos, buying several new batteries and a charger, and never resolving the problem. 

Thanks in advance..

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

If you remove the battery and place it in the charger, does the charger display that it's still charged?  I'm wondering if the battery is not able to hold any charge.

The User Manual mentions that there's a way to Restore Default Camera Settings (page 124).  But I imaging that you may not be able to access that since the camera freezes almost immediately.

Do you have the optional AC adaptor kit (ACK-DC40)?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for the reply. The charger displays a full charge.

The charger is not the orginal Canon Charger. Could this be the problem? 

It shouldn't be; but there's always a possibility that a non-Canon part could cause issues.

I didn't find it in the manual, but sometimes electronics can be factory-reset if you press and hold the power button for around 5 to 10 seconds.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tried the reset and it did turn the Camera on for a few seconds, then it freezes again.    I have ordered a new battery, so will see how that works out.

Thanks again 

You said you have a full-size microchip...did you mean a full-sized SD card? A malfunctioning SD card can cause this type of problem. If you have another full-size SD card try that or if you don't try formatting your card in your computer first. Also if you remove the SD card and turn it on what happens?

Thanks ,

Yes it's an SD card. I have formatted the SD Card but no difference.  Tried without the SD card but still freezes after a couple of seconds.  I have ordered another battery, but it may take a while to arrive, even though I have orderd from UK .

@lucywho wrote:

Thanks ,

Yes it's an SD card. I have formatted the SD Card but no difference.  Tried without the SD card but still freezes after a couple of seconds.  I have ordered another battery, but it may take a while to arrive, even though I have orderd from UK .

It may look like a full-size SD card, but if it's an off-brand or a counterfeit version of a name brand card it may contain a surprise.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/SD-Card-surprise/m-p/298627

Don't know how often this happens but it's just something to keep in mind. And something to keep you awake nights.

Announcements