cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX60 Raw Resolution

vinnielbk
Apprentice

I'm trying to get a full-sized RAW picture (4608x3456 or similar), but the RAW images, when taken, end up being quite a bit smaller.  Any suggestions as to settings that might fix this?  I've tried everything that I can think of.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

According to page 197 of the User Manual, RAW should be 4608 x 3456.  Are you sure you're capturing RAW and not JPEG?

JPEG can have four sizes (see page 52).

Perhaps the camera will capture RAW with the same resolution as the JPEG setting? The manual didn't make that clear.  But try setting the size of the JPEG to L (Large) and see if the RAW files are now 4608 x 3456.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Grazie
Rising Star

What do you mean, quite a bit smaller?

The good news is that I figured it out, and that the RAW files are all there, in the proper resolution.  The bad news is that the conversion program that I use, Image Converter Plus, has really screwed up my conversion of CR2 files.  When the camera takes a RAW picture, it saves the picture as both a RAW file, that holds the full-sized image, and as a low-quality, smaller preview file, that programs, like Ardfry, use to show a preview of the RAW image.  Image Converter Plus doesn't really convert the RAW image.  It uses the low-quality JPG for it's conversion.  That pretty much means that I have to go back and convert the CR2 files (that I have - many are gone) to the higher quality JPGs that I thought I was getting.  At least I found that Canon's Digital Photo Professional will work for that.  It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't done a lot of the metadata for the low-quality files.  Ouch!

Ouch? " That pretty much means that I have to go back and convert the CR2 files (that I have - many are gone) to the higher quality JPGs" but you do have backups? Storage is so cheap nowadays, far cheaper than your memories and that illusory, ephemeral thing called your Creativity.

Announcements