cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX50HS Screen Display Question

covecritters
Apprentice

I have a Canon Power Shot SX50 HS which I am trying to learn. I seem to keep changing my display mode, but can't figure out what I'm doing or how to correct it. I know how to go from viewfinder to screen, my problem is the size/shape of photo displayed has changed a few times. Currently it is a square, before, it had been vertical and I would have to turn camera for horizontal. I would like to go back to the original horizontal display and have it vertical when I turn camera. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TonyBritton
Enthusiast

Hello,

I just wanted to offer the outside posibility that the "Aspect Ratio" of the screen display, which is mentioned on page 73 of the manual might have somehow gotten changed. The manual explains that the "still image" aspect ratio is the "ratio of width to height." 

The "Native" aspect ratio of the camera screen is 4:3, which I use, and if it was set to 1:1, for example, it would display a "square" image, perhaps like you're currently experiencing.

I take a mix of landscape (horizonal) and portrait (vertical) photos and when I review the images holding the camera in the landscape orientation and come across a photo that was taken in the portrait orientation with the aspect ratio set to 4:3 as usual, and I turn to hold the camera in the portrait position to inspect the image, then  the image automatically snaps into the correct orientation and fills the entire screen of the LCD. Vice versa for landscape images that fill the entire screen when properly oriented.

I really have no idea if this is related to what you're experiencing and I hope someone here can help you fully resolve the issue!

Tony

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

John_
Authority

Have you calibrated the level yet ?

If so or after that and you still have that probelm you can deactive auto rotate.

In addition if you are in Smart Shuffle  mode images you took vetically regardless of wheter auto rotate is set to off will display in vertical orientation. But that does not sound like your issue. You can check that on page 174 of the user manual.

rotate.PNG

John, Thanks for your suggestion. This was OK on my camera, but the message below about the aspect ratio is what my problem was!

Linda

cool Linda Im glad you got your solution!

TonyBritton
Enthusiast

Hello,

I just wanted to offer the outside posibility that the "Aspect Ratio" of the screen display, which is mentioned on page 73 of the manual might have somehow gotten changed. The manual explains that the "still image" aspect ratio is the "ratio of width to height." 

The "Native" aspect ratio of the camera screen is 4:3, which I use, and if it was set to 1:1, for example, it would display a "square" image, perhaps like you're currently experiencing.

I take a mix of landscape (horizonal) and portrait (vertical) photos and when I review the images holding the camera in the landscape orientation and come across a photo that was taken in the portrait orientation with the aspect ratio set to 4:3 as usual, and I turn to hold the camera in the portrait position to inspect the image, then  the image automatically snaps into the correct orientation and fills the entire screen of the LCD. Vice versa for landscape images that fill the entire screen when properly oriented.

I really have no idea if this is related to what you're experiencing and I hope someone here can help you fully resolve the issue!

Tony

Tony, Thank you! My problem is solved 🙂 I really appreciate your taking the time to help.

Linda

Hi Linda,

I'm happy that it resolved the issue!

Tony

Thanks Tony,

that's exactly what I needed to know.

Somehow I hit that button over and over again.

I keep messing up the view.

Hi WendyQ,

Glad to have helped!

Tony

Announcements