cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX50 HS fisheye distortion

funygirl38
Apprentice

Greetings,

I recently bought the Canon SX50 HS as an addition to my Canon Rebel but upon shooting with it, I found at the widest angle, there is a fisheye distortion to the shots with the corners rounded like an old photo. I tried with my Corel PSP 7 to correct the distortion but it only made the shot worse. I'm not new to the field but I can't understand why the camera is performing like this. I used my Canon Rebel XTI for years without this much trouble. Please tell me what I'm, doing wrong.

1 REPLY 1

smack53
Mentor

My first question would be how close are you to the subject in the shot when this occurs? Are you doing a macro at the wide end? This will certainly cause a fisheye effect with that small sensor in the SX50. I get that with my SX150 as well, so I've resorted to zooming in on macros to avoid that.

Now, if this is occuring in wide angle landscape shots, then there may be an issue with the lens on that camera, assuming you're not using a fisheye setting/scene mode. It may be that the lens is not properly aligned and is getting out of the "sweet spot" of the lens at the wide angle. It may need to be returned for another camera. This is not the norm, however, so if there's a way to compare your results with someone who has that model camera, I would check that out first to see if anyone else has that issue.

Steve M.

Announcements