cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX280 experiencing a shadow area on photos at full zoom

ghpvi
Apprentice

My Canon SX280 experiences a shadow area on photos that are taken at full zoom.

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

The shadow area at full zoom is most likely caused by the zoom lens itself. The flash is not intended to be used for long reaches as the effective range of the flash unit is only a few feet to about 12 feet. Since the flash itself does not extend very high off the camera, the extension of the lens will definitely cast a shadow. To eliminate this, you would need to supply extra light to the area that is in the shadow. Only use the flash for much shorter ranges, where the zoom lens is not fully extended.

Smack53

Thanks for the response.  The flash is not being used.  The shadow appears, and is most evident, when zoom is at full length.

My apologies for assuming the flash was being used. Other things to consider are:

1. Is the lens cover opening fully when using the camera?

2. Is the lens clean? Even a small smear can look like a shadow to the sensor.

3. Obvious question, but I'll ask anyway...are you holding the camera in such a way that a finger might be getting in the way?

4. Have you been shooting at very bright objects, such as the sun, and taking long amounts of time to focus? If so, the sensor may have a few burned out pixels.

If none of these, you may need to send in for repair. Perhaps someone else in the community can help shed some ideas on the issue as well.

Smack53

Announcements