cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SX 60 HS will not power up, but will with monitor off

bassbill
Apprentice

Just used the hell out of my camera all weekend and find now that it will not power up if my monitor is open, but will power up if it is just the viewfinder.

4 REPLIES 4

John_
Authority

First thing I would suspect is the battery is shot, even though it might indicate a full charge, and cannot handle the load of turning on the camera, booting that up, positioning the lens and also turning on the display at the same time. Try a new battery would be my first thing to do.

I don't think so, this is after charging and using three different batteries, all of which worked fine Fri-Sun. One day later, this. When I look at the battery indicator (using the viewfinder), the battery shows as being full. I thought the same thing as you, but you wouldn't expect all three of my batteries to fail all at the exact same time. Must be the camers. It also won't let me do a full reset. The option is greyed out. I guess I have to find someone to see if they can repair. I love this camera.

Hi Bassbill,

Thank you for posting.

I agree. Since this has happened with three batteries, your camera will require service to correct this issue.

You may set up the repair of your camera at this site: https://www.usa.canon.com/repair. When accessing our site, we recommend the use of updated versions of the Chrome or Firefox browsers.

Once on our site, click on "Request Product Repair". On the next page, begin entering your camera's model, then select the appropriate model, when it appears below. Next, fill in the information on this page, and those that follow.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Not likely the batteries then, Be sure to shop around for repair prices, the warranty on the repair and estimates since they can be pretty pricey....more than the cost of a certified refurbished SX60 with a warranty or very close. In the meantime you could try removing the battery and then hold the on button down for about 30 seconds....then retry it. Also, have you tried turning the camera on using the "play" button instead of the power on button? Try that and see if the Reset is available thru the Menu. Just throwing out ideas for you in hopes to save you a costly repair. Oh, I just thought of another instance where the Reset was greyed out because the Viewfinder (EVF) only was on or selected. Try pressing the display button to turn the EVF off and check the Reset again. I have the SX50, was tempted to get the SX60 when it came out but decided to wait till at least an SX80-100 model comes out. They are great cameras without the expense of extra lenses and some limitations that do not concern me.

Announcements