cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot sx60HS picture distorted, Why ?

Metal
Contributor

IMG_3280.jpg

Picture taken with my Canon Powershot SX60HS is always distorted looks very flat at very right and left corner. See my group photo sample, taken in P-MODE at very left. No effect applied just simple click to shoot. But all my pictures are now just a waste. I do not understand why lens taking photos in this shape can any of expert advice me.....

My camera details

Canon PowerShot SX60HS

CMIT ID: 2014DJ2229

No. 921051000337

Pls. note camera taken only 4 month back from JAPAN. I have reseted all settings to default and clicked again same picture distorted. Pls help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority
Hi

That is a couple kinds of lens distortion.

First you have some distortion with near objects from shooting wide angle.

Wide angle lenses make things near the lens appear strangely big. You never want to do a closeup portrait zoomed out to a wide angle; always step back a bit and then zoom in to frame the shot. The wide angle shot close up would give your subject a big nose and a big forehead on a small body. In your case the lady on the left is closer to the camera
Than everyone else so she appears enlarged.

Secondly you have edge pincushion distortion.
That is just a common defect with lenses and a less expensive camera
Like A Powershot will suffer it more than a more expensive camera setup. Just avoid the problem by not putting people all the way on the edges of the photo. Leave empty space.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
Hi

That is a couple kinds of lens distortion.

First you have some distortion with near objects from shooting wide angle.

Wide angle lenses make things near the lens appear strangely big. You never want to do a closeup portrait zoomed out to a wide angle; always step back a bit and then zoom in to frame the shot. The wide angle shot close up would give your subject a big nose and a big forehead on a small body. In your case the lady on the left is closer to the camera
Than everyone else so she appears enlarged.

Secondly you have edge pincushion distortion.
That is just a common defect with lenses and a less expensive camera
Like A Powershot will suffer it more than a more expensive camera setup. Just avoid the problem by not putting people all the way on the edges of the photo. Leave empty space.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Scott cool thanks for that info Ive notied it from time to time on my HS50SX now I think I know why...thanks again my nose is big enough already lol !

Thanks for the suggestion, I am not a pro-photographer as u already came to know after seeing the sample.

I just clicked to capture the moment without knowing the fact where I need to stand and how much space I need to keep empty at left or right. Looks like I need to do o lot of experiment on my camera to know it's strength and weakness.

But I have not expected a pro level bridge camera of Camera would really disappoint me specially when it is released after a long wait. First my thought about problem is my lens shifted mechanically for some unknown heavenly reason now I am ended up with knowledge base study to what my camera can deliver and how to use it with a added subject of shortcomings for a bridge camera. Not a Happy Customer bro.

Metal dont lose faith or get discouraged ! You have the best and most powerful, in many ways,of the bridge camera line! As it is a bridge camera it is both simple and complex and any shortcommings can be overcome

It doesn't have many shortcommings and in time you will learn a few things to keep in mind to get the best photos, professional quality.

I'm including a link for a fellow who is a professional photographer and has created over 15 lesson on you tube specifically for the SX50HS..it will all apply to your model too. He goes into detail and explains so much about so many aspects of getting a good shot. Please take the time to look at them you will not be disappointd...I watch them over and over and still learn things!

https://www.youtube.com/user/MWESTPhotography

jazzman1
Rising Star

I 2nd John's response, the camera is a fine camera once one learns it's limitations.  No offense, but the SX60 is not a professional camera, it's a consumer level bridge camera.  I have one too, so I'm not putting it down.  All cameras have some limitations, because they all have trade offs to attain certain objectives, even pro level.  We just have to understand the camera we're choosing and make sure we get one that satisfy's our needs.  You've gotton some good advice and all you have to do is learn and practice with your camera.  You can get excellent results with your SX60, you just have to understand it's limits.

Announcements