cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot sx60 question

alecdavis47
Apprentice

I have an older version (2011) of the canon powershot sx60 that has worked beautifully with no problems. Last night I got the 'lens error/restart the camera' message. No big deal, I've had it before a couple years ago, so I powered down and cleaned around the lens mechanism. But that's when I found the outer plastic shell of the lens was broken and pulled off the camera. I pushed it back into place, but it is still really loose and can slide right off. My question is will this piece being loose affect how the lens functions during normal operations or is it purely cosmetic? Has any one had this happen and how did you fix it or did you just leave it off. I included a few pics so you will know what I'm talking about since I don't know the proper name. I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow and although I've been looking at getting a new camera, I was hoping this one made it one last trip....

1 REPLY 1

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there.

How it affects the performance will more likely depend on what caused that outer ring to crack in the first place, the ring itself does not have a direct relationship with the zoom and optical systems. Since the part moves freely still, this does mean that the insternal components are more susceptible to dirt, dust moisture and other contaminants so it might be a good time to start looking into a new camera before your next big trip or major photo-worthy event, but if you don't notice any image quality issues for the time being I would probably go on using it until then.

Announcements