cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot sx60 HS for indoor macro diorama photography

Trainman57
Contributor

Hi,

I'm considering getting a Canon Powershot sx 60 HS camera.  My goal is to be able to do some quality pictures of my indoor train layout in closup fashion.  I'm going to invest in some soft box lighting as well.  Would this camera meet my needs?  I'm not looking for magazine quality shots but would like to be able to adjust focus.  I have a Sony DSC-H9 now and would like something a bit better.  Thanks for you input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
16 REPLIES 16

The corridor is about 9 inches.  The camera was laid on the table in front of the opening and a 3 second shutter delay.  Most of the buildings on the layout do have lighting.  I did adjust the white balance for this shot but there are only a few choices and LED lighting isn't one of them.  I think I shot this with many different balances and I thought this was the best.  I'm aware of the D of F and how that affects focus but I don't remember the specifics of this shot, just wanted to show something that I was hoping to improve upon.  Some of the shots I've tried are through the windows of the building and I can't get anything to focus except the exterior of the building.  I've probably trashed most of the bad pics because I can't find any at this time.  My camera pics what it wants to focus on and it is very difficult to make it fixate on what I want it to fixate on, if that makes any sense.  Thanks for your input, apreciated.

@Trainman57 wrote:

The corridor is about 9 inches.  The camera was laid on the table in front of the opening and a 3 second shutter delay.  Most of the buildings on the layout do have lighting.  I did adjust the white balance for this shot but there are only a few choices and LED lighting isn't one of them.  I think I shot this with many different balances and I thought this was the best.  I'm aware of the D of F and how that affects focus but I don't remember the specifics of this shot, just wanted to show something that I was hoping to improve upon.  Some of the shots I've tried are through the windows of the building and I can't get anything to focus except the exterior of the building.  I've probably trashed most of the bad pics because I can't find any at this time.  My camera pics what it wants to focus on and it is very difficult to make it fixate on what I want it to fixate on, if that makes any sense.  Thanks for your input, apreciated.

You would benefit immensely from using a tripod with a lateral extension arm, especially one that can be set at any angle, not just at a right angle.  This would kill two birds with one stone.  But, you will need to operate the camera in Manual shooting mode.

You would be able to manually focus the lens where you want it to focus.  The shutter delay timer is usually just as good as a remote shutter switch.  Just set the delay time so that any tripod vibrations created by your touching the camera have sufficient time to dissipate.  I usually use 10 seconds.

https://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-focus-stack-macro-images-using-photoshop/

Once you begin using a tripod, then you can capture images for macro stacking.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

With the SX60HS you can manually focus the scene or area and you can also use the flexizone focus mode where you can frame your shot and then move the focus zone where you wish. I imagine you have lights inside those model houses? I have the SX50HS very similar to the 60

Trainman57
Contributor
The Sx 60 can do this correct?

Yes it can

Thanks

Your welcome!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements