Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon Powershot SX60 HS or comparable

I am a hoping someone can help me with the macro function of this camera.  I have heard nothing but good things about the macro functionality of it.

I am hoping to use this camera mostly for 2 functions which I hope can be saved as C1 and C2, easier for me to teach my dental assistants how to use it that way.  For C1, I am needing to get really up close and personal with the front 2 teeth, and for C2 I am needing to do the full smile with a larger depth of field.  I currently use a large Canon SLR body with a ring flash, but the assistants are intimidated by the size of this camera, and after I heard of this one, I've invested in it, but not sure how to set it up for these 2 functions.

If anyone can help in anyway, I would be very, very appreciatvie!

Thanks sincerely!

John York

Respected Contributor

Re: Canon Powershot SX60 HS or comparable

@johnwyork wrote:

I am a hoping someone can help me with the macro function of this camera.  I have heard nothing but good things about the macro functionality of it.

I am hoping to use this camera mostly for 2 functions which I hope can be saved as C1 and C2, easier for me to teach my dental assistants how to use it that way.  For C1, I am needing to get really up close and personal with the front 2 teeth, and for C2 I am needing to do the full smile with a larger depth of field.  I currently use a large Canon SLR body with a ring flash, but the assistants are intimidated by the size of this camera, and after I heard of this one, I've invested in it, but not sure how to set it up for these 2 functions.

If anyone can help in anyway, I would be very, very appreciatvie!

Thanks sincerely!

John York

I think lighting will be an issue with that camera.

I think a better choice for a less intimidating set up would have been any of the EOS M line of cameras with the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM with built in Macro Lite.

ef-m

Highlighted
New Contributor

I'm not a professional photographer, just someone who takes snapshots.  Keeping my "qualifications" (or lack thereof) in mind, I think you can get the results you want by just using the camera's lens in its "normal" mode while taking advantage of its zoom capablities.  i.e., step back a couple of feet from the subject and zoom in on the part that you want a close-up of.  If this method works to your satisfaction,  you should be able to better control your lighting conditions.

New Contributor

Hi John,

I'm a dentist  and I want to buy a camera for dental photography. Can you recommend the Canon Powershot SX60 HS? And have you figured out  a good set up for this camera? Thanks in advance.

Marynthe Tijink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marynthe wrote:

Hi John,

I'm a dentist  and I want to buy a camera for dental photography. Can you recommend the Canon Powershot SX60 HS? And have you figured out  a good set up for this camera? Thanks in advance.

Marynthe Tijink

Mary,

NO the SX60 is a aweful camera for a dentist.

Almost any dental setup you look at it has a ring-light flash.

An EOS M (any model) and the EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM with built in Macro Lite is the small lower cost set up of choice for a dentist, 

ef-m

This macro lens (close up lens) had a ring flash built into the front of it. It is a unique lens only made by Canon for the EOS M line of cameras, and is ideal for dental photography.