cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Powershot SX530 HS

lfuqua10
Apprentice

I just got a new Powershot SX530.  I am an amatuer camera user.  I tried to take a picture of the full moon last night.  As I held the camera up and pointed it at the moon, the moon was jumping around in the viewfinder.  The camera was in automatic mode and I was zooming in at 50%.  I could never get the moon to sit still in the view finder to take the shot?  The camera was making all kinds of noise and the screen had symbols that were continously changing.  What am I doing wrong, I thought it was just point and shoot?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

1. Unless you manage to get a focus point on the edge of moon and sky camera can't determine focus. You should manually focus. 

2. As previously stated, you need to be on tripod. To get moon large in viewfinder you need to be zoomed, and zooming magnifies any camera motion. 

3. The moon is reflecting sunlight, so even though it is nighttime you should expose moon as daylight. Use the Loony 11 rule - ISO 100, 1/125 second at f/11 or equivalent.  If you have spot metering on your camera put it on the moon. Photographing the moon at night is not what the Night Exposure camera preset is for. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

UniqueTouch
Contributor
Iwill look up Bert's cheat sheets now Sir!!! Thank you for helping an amateur photographer whom really wants to learn!!.🤔🤓

UniqueTouch
Contributor
Steve, just wanted to say thanks AGAIN SIR! for explaining what all the little letter abreviations mean on my Canon Sx530Hs. I keep this invaluable printout in my camera bag and reer to it often. You took the time to help me and I just wanna say thank you Sir. God in Heaven Bless you Sir. Thanks
Sincerely, Angelo M. Rookie photographer.

You're very welcome! Glad it helps you!!

May you be Blessed as well!

Steve M.

In order to understand what is going on in your camera you need to understand the central idea of exposure. All other learning and advancement is based on this basic concept. Luckily it is pretty easy to take in. Just google for a couple short free video tutorials on the "exposure triangle" and it sinks in pretty quickly. 

You want a proper exposure meaning not too much or too little light on the sensor. There are 3 variables you (or the camera) can manipulate to control the amount of light hitting the sensor:  time (shutter speed), opening size in the lens (aperture aka f/stop) and sensor sensitivity (ISO).  Three things interacting like this just begs for someone to come up with an explanation involving a triangle, and that's all the exposure triangle is.  Watch a couple of 2 to 5 minute tutorials and you'll be glad you did. All those settings on the dial will make sense (Tv, Av, Manual).

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Billie3865
Apprentice
I was able to capture some terrific photos of the moon with this camera and no tripod but use a sawhorse for stability. Would like to post pics of it but it's not giving me that option

@Billie3865 wrote:
I was able to capture some terrific photos of the moon with this camera and no tripod but use a sawhorse for stability. Would like to post pics of it but it's not giving me that option

Your images must be less than 5MB is size.  Files need some overheard, so the working maximum size is 4.5 MB.

When you are in the “Post Message” editing box, there are a number of icons that should appear on the top edge.  If you see a smiley face icon, then click the icon that is second to the right.  It resembles a framed picture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

UniqueTouch
Contributor
I love the way you explain the shutter/ISO/APERATURE ETC...Thank you for your help. Still learning and finding new ways to make a night picture look like a..night picture.. w out the flash making it look like a day pic.

robindjperry
Apprentice

I've been trying to connect to my laptop but when I click on CameraWindow the camera is not detectable.   The Wi-Fi on the camera is set up correctly because it recognizes my laptop.

OS is Windows 10.

Thanks for your help!

cocovation
Apprentice

I have access to a Canon Powershot SX530 HS.  There will be a penumbral lunar eclipse Thursday night, and I would love to take some pictures of it.  I really don't know much about the camera or photography in general.  Up until now, I've not changed any settings on the camera.

What setting changes, if any, should I make to get good pictures of the eclipse?  Should I get a tripod or anything else?

Thank you.

22 Tips for Photographing a Lunar Eclipse | B&H Explora (bhphotovideo.com)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements