Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon Powershot SX410 IS making a whirring noise?

[ Edited ]

whenever i turn on my camera, there's a whirring noise. it's brand new, i just got it about two weeks ago. it was working fine & silent last night.

i haven't touched any of the settings, dropped it, or done anything to damage it, yet i turned it on today and it was making a humming/whirring noise. it sounded almost like a faint computer fan noise, but when i record videos, it's really distracting & noticeable.

i know it wasn't there before, and just not noticeable because i took a video with little to no background noise, just to test the videos out, and the noise wasn't there.

i tried taking the battery out (which i knew wouldn't help, and it didn't) or restarting it, but nothing worked.

can anyone tell me what's wrong? or how i can fix it? please and thank you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Canon Powershot SX410 IS making a whirring noise?

Is maybe the lens jammed and what you hear is the zoom/focus motor trying to move the lens?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Highlighted
New Contributor

i don't think so? it zooms in and out fine and it can focus just fine, but maybe.

how would i be able to fix this? 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If it's two weeks old and you don't think it's working correctly I would take it back to the store.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic